Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I envy those of you who can afford $500+ shotguns, as I'd love to have an 870 tactical. But, the funds are limited - getting married in May and would prefer to have a good home defense gun before the move (other than my XD9).

Any bad experience with these brands? They'll never see 10k rounds, they just need to go bang when I pull the trigger.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You don't need a tactical Remington 870 or a decked out Mossberg 500/590 to have a good home defense gun. Take a serious, serious look into the Maverick by Mossberg line. They are very close to Mossbergs but they have a different trigger group and some imported parts but they are great shotguns. Oh and they won't break the bank either. Just a quick look at Buds online they are going for just over $200.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NEF Pardner Pump in 12 ga. works for me. I don't shoot it much but when I do it works well. It's an 870 clone and seems to be a well built, sturdy gun. Think new it was around $165 IIRC.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been looking at this, the Interstate Arms/Norinco/Hawk 982

Interstate Arms Black Synthetic 12 Ga Defender w/18.5" Barre $200.00 SHIPS FREE

It's basically a Chinese 870 clone. Just about everyone who has one loves it. They say it's even better than a more expensive 870 express. Plus, this even comes with usable ghost ring sights. How nice is that.

I'm seriously thinking about buying one. $200, shipping included.

I *believe* the NEF Pardner is basically the same thing, with a slightly different external appearance to the receiver.

If you can get over the Chinese thing, they're supposed to be really good, reliable, quality shotguns for the price.

The Maverick 88 also gets good reviews, which is sort of like a lower cost Mossberg 500 (many of the parts are interchangeable). The Interstate Arms/Norinco also has lots of interchangeable parts with the 870.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Any site sponsors want to make a sale? Looking to purchase one of these soon. What kind of short barrel 12 gauges can you get for sub $225?
Um, how short? If you are talking about 18" then it's possible but if you are talking less than 18" (NFA) then the tax stamp alone is $200 unless you are getting an AOW which has a tax of $5 but those guns are over $550.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Um, how short? If you are talking about 18" then it's possible but if you are talking less than 18" (NFA) then the tax stamp alone is $200 unless you are getting an AOW which has a tax of $5 but those guns are over $550.
yeah I meant 18" or 18.5"... No need for anything shorter and definitely not willing to spend the extra cash to get one!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I got a Steven's Model 350 Security with ghost ring sights for $175 on sale from a local surplus store last month...

Added the sling for another $20.

I've added quick connect ends to the sling since this pic was taken.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
don't know about the century/new england. i wondered too. then i picked up a maverick 88 for 199.99 + tax = 218 last week, at a local dealer. doesn't have a strap.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well

I got an H&R (NEF) Pardner Pump Synthetic 12ga with the 28" barrel. I took it to do some skeet and faired pretty well for my first time, I think. I hit 17 out of 75...

Well I took it over to the pattern range and could not get a consitant patterm, it would shoot high, low, left, left high etc. This gun was benched and on a rest. I shot a friend of mine's Benelli 12 and a Benelli Magnum and it was dead on every time no matter the distance, so I know it wasn't me.

I then went to the pistol range and was shooting and shaking horribly. I think it was because I was so tired after holding up that heavy %#%#& gun.

When I got home, the choke was loose. I do not know if it was loose or not while I was shooting, but the threads were not damaged so I would guess not. I do not see how a loose chocke would effect accuracy (as far as shooting left goes) anyways.

I have lost confidence in the H&R and it is on Armslist today in the missouri section as a result... still have no offers haha.

Hope my experience helps in your decision.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Two things:

First, I got my 870 for $280 shipped brand new from Buds Gun Shop (back when Remington was offering their $30 rebate). You can find used 870s right at $200 pretty easily just by looking in the right places.

Second, the only reason I got an 870 was because I had not one, but TWO H&R single shot slug guns not work direct from the factory. Its a single shot gun...how can it not work?! I didnt want to bother giving them a 3rd strike despite how much I liked the look/feel/cost...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts