Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Mossberg Maverick 88 and would love to use it for home defense and hunting. So far I've added some sling swivels and am thinking abou an 18.5" barrel and a different buttstock, maybe a pistol grip with adjustable stock. However if I go out hunting I don't want to be that guy. Is the stock worth replacing? I suppose I could always swap it out when go hunting.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you are worried about getting stereotyped when out hunting, sporting a pistol grip/adjustable stock, I'd just do like you suggested, and change back to the factory stock when hunting... or better yet, (if fund$ are permitting) keep the one you have for hunting & buy another Mav. 88 witha 18.5" barrel, and pimp it out for a HD gun! ;) ha, ha

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An adjustable stock might 'look' too tacti-cool to hunt with, but they just allow for adjustment to the correct LOP. That's good because it enables a better set up, and hopefully better shots. Cheek weld can suffer without a riser though.
Having said that, I prefer a standard buttstock on my shotguns, and there are so many options you can certainly find one with the right LOP.
I prefer the added mass at the rear, they also feel more solid to me with the stiffer recoil from a 12ga, YMMV.
At the end of the day, don't let looks or what's 'cool' or not make you set your weapons up one way or another. Function first IMHO.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What are you hunting?
Other than opening day of dove season, there usually aren't that many people out. Plus, if you allow your shooting skills to do the talking, then there isn't a whole lot to be said about having a pistol gripped, adjustable stock. I would swap to the longer barrel for hunting.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want functionality over looks for sure. I've heard the adjustable stocks with pistol grip has a reduced recoil as well which caught my attention. So far I've just been pheasant hunting. I'd like to do some turkey hunting this season and maybe deer next. I would love to have 2 mossbergs but I've been banned from buying anymore guns till after our wedding haha Oct 8th, then I'm all in.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
upland bird hunters I know is a tough group to fit in. your black mossberg probably doesn't fit in that well to begin with.
the stocks that reduce recoil are the blackhawk knoxx stocks.
for turkey and deer, the PG will be more comfortable to sit still longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts