Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I'm new to the forums. I'm ready to buy a 500. But I'm not sure how I should go about it. I want it for home protection and taking it out to shoot some skeet. But I want that tacti"cool" look.

Would I be better off buying a used 500 with the a longer barrel and wood stocks etc... and buying parts then rebuilding it? (seems to be cheaper & easier to find). Do the older 500s come with metal trigger guards?

Or

Would it be better to get a persuader package right off the bat? Then buying another barrel for shooting skeet?

In terms of shooting skeet, what barrel length & choke do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
14 Posts
When shooting skeet, there are some chokes that are designed specifically for skeet, which basically improve the spread beyond cylinder bore, which is what you want out of a skeet gun, I've shot skeet with mod choke(26') and cylinder bore(18.5'), the cylinder bore has a bit better of a spread.. but I can't relate it to a skeet choke, because I've never used one, but what I would suggest would be something like Mossberg's Turkey Thug, it's a 20 inch barrel it's threaded for a choke, and looks pretty cool, was at a gun show yesterday and saw one priced around 499$, but if you want a value gun that you can modify later, sure get a stock Mossy 500, you could do worse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
After looking without much luck for a used 500, I recently bought a 500 All-Purpose field gun from Walmart. It was $257 plus tax and came with 3 choke tubes - including a skeet tube. It has a vent rib barrel with dual sight posts that will work well for skeet. I also ordered an 18 1/2" cylinder bore barrel from Mossberg for $75 including shipping, so it's now ready for home protection too. For a total of $350 I have a new shotgun perfectly suited for what you described. Personally, I'm not that in to "tacti-cool" and love its wood furniture, but it can be easily converted with inexpensive black plastic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts