Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
3" of penetration...barely even enough to get past the fat layer on some badguys (.410)

Better with #4 though (20 ga)

But can you argue with 00 (.410)

REALLY wanna make a mess and have a caliber small enough for a woman or kid to fire in defense (20 ga slugs)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep.

If it don't have feathers, or weighs over ten pounds...birdshot ain't the load you want.

Although, I am compelled to point out, the reason that the birdshot was so particularly pathetic was because it was fired from a particularly worthless platform...(the Judge)...;)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep.

If it don't have feathers, or weighs over ten pounds...birdshot ain't the load you want.

Although, I am compelled to point out, the reason that the birdshot was so particularly pathetic was because it was fired from a particularly worthless platform...(the Judge)...;)
FPS (feet per second) and bullet weight don't lie (velocity and mass)..doesn't matter if fired from a judge at point blank, or from a 18" barrel 20 feet away.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I use 00 buck!
But would #4 work in a pinch? Reason I ask I have a bunch #4 that was given to me.
#4 buckshot or #4 birdshot? Birdshot = No. #4 buckshot = yes. #4 buckshot is usually considered a minimum shotshell for home defense, and is used when you have to take others into consideration. IE, kiddos, apartment/duplex neighbors, etc. If you don't have to worry about hitting anything besides a BG, then 00 buckshot all the way.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There are some variables with shotguns and the size of shot. Choke is one. Type or makeup of shot is another. Distance is a big one. I can tell you from experience that a high-brass heavy load of no. 6 at mere feet will induce a very ugly, devastating wound. The problem is (as mentioned) adequate penetration to vitals in order to stop a crazed, high-on-drugs perp.

Any buckshot at typical defense distances will be devastating, but no. 1 buck is preferred by most "experts" as the best balance between pellet count and individual projectile energy/penetration. 00 buck (usually 9 pellets in a standard 2 3/4 load) is my choice, but no. 4 in home defense would be fine. Magnum loads (either 2 3/4 or 3") up the pellet count, but cost more as well.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If they don't spontaneously explode at the sound of racking a pump shotgun they are probably going to stop what they are doing when they get peppered with bird shot, if not I'd hope you have more than one shell at your disposal... That's a LOT of leaking holes that are stinging REALLY bad.

If I had 100 people throwing acorns at me I'd probably turn and go the other direction... multiply that substantially for getting shot with a shotgun with anything in it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If they don't spontaneously explode at the sound of racking a pump shotgun they are probably going to stop what they are doing when they get peppered with bird shot, if not I'd hope you have more than one shell at your disposal... That's a LOT of leaking holes that are stinging REALLY bad.

If I had 100 people throwing acorns at me I'd probably turn and go the other direction... multiply that substantially for getting shot with a shotgun with anything in it.
Those holes aren't leaking that bad (relatively speaking--nothing compared to deep arterial bleeds), and relying on your assailant choosing to say "Owie! Stop!" is a poor tactic.

I'd rather have the round that strikes home cause them to leak very, very badly and not have a choice in the matter of stopping.

And the reason you;d stop is because you're rational (well, mostly...;))--asuming an assailant will be is not good move.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Don't get me wrong, it's not my first choice, but if it's all I had I wouldn't be too concerned if I was loaded up with 5 of them.

That said - I've moved my HD shotgun to the second position in the safe and the AR to the first.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.