Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve never hunted birds. I use a mossberg 835 with factory full choke for squirrels now on about two years. I shoot steel only for local laws. This gun/choke combo with steel shot, if you don’t put some distance or edge them you can’t eat the squirrel. Needless to say I have no confidence hunting ducks the first time with a pattern this tight. No I have never “really” patterned it aside from shooting a old soggy log with no bark at a guesstimate 20 yards.

I bought used and only have the factory full choke. I just ordered a kicks high flyer modified for it. After some deliberation and hours of YouTube videos I kind of wish I would have got a patternmaster close range choke instead.

Do any of y’all hunt ducks with the 835 or 935? What kind of chokes do y’all recommend?

I mostly shoot steel #2 or #4 Federal blue box or Winchester experts, 3” shells for squirrels and plan to use them for ducks too. I prefer the federal because I can find them in boxes of 100 local without much trouble.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve never hunted birds. I use a mossberg 835 with factory full choke for squirrels now on about two years. I shoot steel only for local laws. This gun/choke combo with steel shot, if you don’t put some distance or edge them you can’t eat the squirrel. Needless to say I have no confidence hunting ducks the first time with a pattern this tight. No I have never “really” patterned it aside from shooting a old soggy log with no bark at a guesstimate 20 yards.

I bought used and only have the factory full choke. I just ordered a kicks high flyer modified for it. After some deliberation and hours of YouTube videos I kind of wish I would have got a patternmaster close range choke instead.

Do any of y’all hunt ducks with the 835 or 935? What kind of chokes do y’all recommend?

I mostly shoot steel #2 or #4 Federal blue box or Winchester experts, 3” shells for squirrels and plan to use them for ducks too. I prefer the federal because I can find them in boxes of 100 local without much trouble.
Do not shoot steel shot with a full choke. It can cause serious damage.
We use modified chokes with BB or BBB shot for geese.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts