Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a nice deer slug gun but I have little knowledge on shotguns and the price range. I have been told by hunting friends to look at the Remington 870, 887, Benelli Nova, or the Benelli Supernova. I know I will want one that already comes with a rifled barrel and would like for it to have a cantilevered barrel to mount a decent scope on. I have been searching a little and prices are all over the place.

Any help from experienced hunters would be appreciated. I don't want the biggest, baddest gun on the market because I am trying to be reasonable since I am just beginning to hunt. I also know I will have to wait a year until deer season comes back around but I thought I would start shopping early for the best deal.

Also, this will be a deer only gun. I have no desire as of now to hunt anything else and will be purchasing a tactical shotgun for home defense in the near future.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My LGS recommended the Remington 870 as the HD and hunting rifle. I bought the rifled slug barrel, the short barrel for HD and it came with a long barrel for skeet/waterfowl. So one gun, three barrels.

I just got it last month and haven't gone hunting yet, but I trust my LGS and am hoping to get out next season with it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree with PistolEd...you can't go wrong with the 870. It's a great shotgun to start hunting with. It was my first shotgun when I started hunting 20 years ago and I still have it. They are nearly indestructible and they shoot great too. You can get them as a combo with a smooth bore and a rifled barrel. I would suggest you do that, who knows you may end up hunting something else in addition to deer later on and the smooth bore will come in handy....and you won't need to buy another gun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've hunted deer with shotguns for 27 years here in Iowa. I have seen more deer killed with 870s and Mossberg 500s shooting rifled slugs through smoothbores than any other brands. I think rifled shotgun barrels shooting saboted slugs are fine for certain applications, but I have never saw the need. They die just the same whether a .75c slug or a $5.00 one. Find the slug your gun likes and practice, know your hunt and guns limitations and you should do fine. Good luck in your quest.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The BEST deer gun is the one that works.

I have both a mossberg 500, and a remington 870, both are great guns. I turned my mossberg blacktical, and my 870 is set up with a rifled barrel, and a scope for deer. Either will do the job just fine. You can spend a lot of $$$ on a fancy shotgun and call it the best if you want to, but if you're a serious hunter, your gun is gonna get beat up. To me, a fancy hunting gun is a waste, get something practical.

There's nothing wrong with a smooth barrel, and foster slugs, but a rifled barrel does give you better accuracy. Plus sabot slugs actually expand, I'm a fan of the winchester partition platinums. They replaced those with a newer line, haven't tried those yet, but they look the same. I'll try them when I run out of partition platinums.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yesterday I received my Christmas Bonus at work... It didn't last me three hours.

I've been wanting a inexpensive, 'Jack of All Trades' pump shotgun, one I could feel comfortable tossing around and dinging up.
One I could use to shoot some informal clays, take out for fowl/deer/hogs and have next to the bed at night.
And on the latter, not be overly concerned if the worst ever happened and it had to go into a police evidence locker.

I now own a Mossberg 500 12g Field & Deer combo with adjustable Gold trigger.
24" rifled barrel, ported, cantilever scope mount and came with cheapo scope. **** Fills the OPs needs very nicely. ****
28" smoothbore, ported, vent rib with dual bead sight, came with 3 chokes skeet/modified/full.

That ^^^ ran me less than $350.00 out the door.

Ordering a 18.5" home defense barrel, should cost another $100-125 +/- with S/H.

That aught to cover the bases for my entry level pump action shottie.
Looks pretty mild next to my tacti'cooled S12.

Next Shotgun purchase? Maybe a 590A1 SPX or a decent O/U?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep...been slugging deer with am 870 my whole life. I have the rifled barrel and cantaliever mount with a 3-9. Have killed a binck of deer. Shoots awesome out to 100+.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Remington 870, Mossberg 500 are both excellent deer guns. Members of my family use them both as slug guns with success. Also, don't overlook the Remington 1100 (notice I said 1100, NOT 11-87: not a fan of that myself). Three generations of deer hunters in my family have carried it afield, and I'll never give mine up. I just killed my first 2 deer about a month ago with my 1100 (using a rifled slug barrel w/ rifle iron sights & Hastings sabot slugs). All of these guns can be bought either with a deer barrel as part of a combo or solely with dedicated rifled barrels. Hope that helps

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've used a mossy 500 my whole life and never had a problem killing deer with the rifle. I used hornaday sst out of my 20 ga and shot a deer at around 150 yards. A shot I wouldn't even attempt with a smooth bore.

If I ever decide I want another gun to slug hunt with I would get a savage 220. I've read some very interesting reviews on it. And if you can't tell I'm a big fan of the 20 ga when I hunt deer.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yesterday I received my Christmas Bonus at work... It didn't last me three hours.

I've been wanting a inexpensive, 'Jack of All Trades' pump shotgun, one I could feel comfortable tossing around and dinging up.
One I could use to shoot some informal clays, take out for fowl/deer/hogs and have next to the bed at night.
And on the latter, not be overly concerned if the worst ever happened and it had to go into a police evidence locker.

I now own a Mossberg 500 12g Field & Deer combo with adjustable Gold trigger.
24" rifled barrel, ported, cantilever scope mount and came with cheapo scope. **** Fills the OPs needs very nicely. ****
28" smoothbore, ported, vent rib with dual bead sight, came with 3 chokes skeet/modified/full.

That ^^^ ran me less than $350.00 out the door.

Ordering a 18.5" home defense barrel, should cost another $100-125 +/- with S/H.

That aught to cover the bases for my entry level pump action shottie.
Looks pretty mild next to my tacti'cooled S12.

Next Shotgun purchase? Maybe a 590A1 SPX or a decent O/U?
Where did you pick up this said gun?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts