Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Beretta Urika AL 391 with a degraded sticky fore-end and stock. The rubberized grip inlays have deteriorated causing a sticky uncomfortable and unusable feel. Does anyone know a solution? Replacement parts are not available from Beretta.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I also have the same situation with a spare 391 stock that I have laying around...

The light gray colored rubberized inserts have become very tacky...to the point that the residue stays on my hands if I use it.

And I have not been able to find a solution to the issue either...

Once this deterioration begins, there is no known cure that I am aware of.

It's my guess (no proof) that if a protective (urethane) coating were applied over the sticky inserts, you may be able to avoid further deterioration...?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have the same situation with a spare 391 stock that I have laying around...

The light gray colored rubberized inserts have become very tacky...to the point that the residue stays on my hands if I use it.

And I have not been able to find a solution to the issue either...

Once this deterioration begins, there is no known cure that I am aware of.

It's my guess (no proof) that if a protective (urethane) coating were applied over the sticky inserts, you may be able to avoid further deterioration...?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Cleboje:
Since posting my initial message I have learned from my Mississippi duck hunting friends that this is a universal problem. I do not use the word "universal" casually. I mean 100% of these shotguns, including the Beretta Optima AL 391 models, exhibit this degradation. I own an Optima also with the same deterioration. Beretta has profited from thousands of these defective shotguns and will not assist its loyal customers with a repair or replacement. We have all been tricked and cheated.
I retired from law practice in 2000, but I am rejoining the struggle on this one. A Mississippi duck hunter filed a successful class action against Browning in 2017 on the same subject, Browning's so-called Dura-Touch rubber inlay. That product degraded in the same fashion as the Beretta materials. He filed the case in federal court here in my home town Oxford, Mississippi. So I am looking for a hero, a hunter who owns an Al 391 willing to serve his fellow man by leading as a class representative. Courts order substantial compensation to successful class representatives.
If you are interested in looking into this issue further please send me an email: [email protected]. My cell is 662 832 8569.I
I am headed to a Saskatchewan goose hunt in three weeks. I just bought a Benelli M2 because both Berettas are a sticky mess.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Browning had to fix those that were turned in so it seems logical that Beretta should have to do the same. They are also a far bigger corporation and therefore more in a position to fix their defective stocks. If it takes a class action law suit then I wish them well; because Beretta has always had a hands-off approach after the sale attitude. Good luck and I would like to find out how this turns out.

I also suggest you post this thread's content on other websites that get more traffic such as Shotgun World, Duck Hunting Forum, etc.

Question for Michael T. Lewis, if you have suffered "damages" on your own stocks, why do you need anyone else to lead as "class representative". Just curious.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Browning had to fix those that were turned in so it seems logical that Beretta should have to do the same. They are also a far bigger corporation and therefore more in a position to fix their defective stocks. If it takes a class action law suit then I wish them well; because Beretta has always had a hands-off approach after the sale attitude. Good luck and I would like to find out how this turns out.

I also suggest you post this thread's content on other websites that get more traffic such as Shotgun World, Duck Hunting Forum, etc.

Question for Michael T. Lewis, if you have suffered "damages" on your own stocks, why do you need anyone else to lead as "class representative". Just curious.
Hello Oyeme:
An attorney representing a class of cheated consumers would have a conflict of interest if he also served as the class representative. No court would approve such an arrangement. The lack of objectivity would affect the judgment of the attorney. Also, Abraham Lincoln said "a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client".
I will take your advice on expanding to other websites. A class representative is well compensated for his time and efforts in a successful case. How about you?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hello Oyeme:
An attorney representing a class of cheated consumers would have a conflict of interest if he also served as the class representative. No court would approve such an arrangement. The lack of objectivity would affect the judgment of the attorney. Also, Abraham Lincoln said "a lawyer who represents himself has a fool for a client".
I will take your advice on expanding to other websites. A class representative is well compensated for his time and efforts in a successful case. How about you?
Fortunately or unfortunately in terms of the proposed class action law suit; I have no damages since I have not owned any of the models of Berettas where the finish turned to goo. I do hope you success, and it is too bad that companies in general but Beretta in particular, don't place any value in after the sale customer satisfaction. I guess when you are the 900 lb gorilla in the market like they are; you don't have to or so it would seem to them.

Although the owners of the stocks that have experienced the degradation have to be in the 10s of thousands; I am speculating that you may not find that many that are willing to join the suit. Why? There is a very strong brand loyalty factor among Beretta owners and many have also moved on from those model guns with the defective stock finish.

Maybe once the suit is initiated it would pay to put a couple of advertisements in various shooting publications notifying potential suit members of what is being attempted. NRA publications, Shooting Sportsman magazine, Grays Journal, etc. However, in this day and age a notification on social media sites may reach more players.

Good luck in your forthcoming actions!

·
Registered
269 Posts
I wonder what the solution was for Browning? Was it just a replacement insert made of a better material? Setting aside the potential for a lawsuit, if someone could find out what was used to fix the problem in the prior Browning situation, that person could make some good dollars selling replacement inserts for DIY or to GunsSmiths to fix the problem without litigation.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Here is more info on the Browning issue and its solution was to go to the factory for replacement. From what I read, Browning replaced the Dura Coat with a cheap composite stock that most did not like. If you also look on Trapshooters.com you will find more threads like those that follow.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Here is more info on the Browning issue and its solution was to go to the factory for replacement. From what I read, Browning replaced the Dura Coat with a cheap composite stock that most did not like. If you also look on Trapshooters.com you will find more threads like those that follow.

Thanks for the LINKs. I see that it was a ..Finish.. problem. I thought the OP was referencing some sort of inserts that had gone bad. Never mind my post. RG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts