Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've got a problem I'm hoping to fix. I have a Beretta 390, and the last few times I've taken it out duck hunting I've had it fail to fire. The primer will be dented but it does not fire. I've also had it pheasant hunting when it's very cold. It could be getting moisture in since I stand in water when hunting ducks, but not pheasants. Is it possible the firing pin is worn too low? How much should it stick out, and is there a way to measure this? I've attached a picture, not sure if it's possible to tell my looking if it's worn or not. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
I'm not a Beretta guy so I can't answer your question, but welcome to the forum! We have some Beretta shooters here so I'm sure someone will wander through and give you a hand.

·
Registered
108 Posts
FWIW, I spent some time at a military station in interior Alaska and at 20-40 below zero this wasn't an unknown issue. Turned out most of us were practicing due diligence in maintaining the guns via oil, grease etc. A gunsmith in Fairbanks clued us in to running the firing pins , springs, trigger system dry of ALL lubricants during winter. We didn't have CLP or compressed air in cans back then (late 60's) but those may be thin enough to resolve your problem. 'Nuthin worse than a gun that goes click and no bang. Good luck.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You state that the primers are dented, but the shell would not fire. I suggest you try at the range various brands of ammo, and check the depth of denting on the primers which DID fire. If they are all the same depth, the misfires and the fired, then the problem could be in the ammo you are using in the field. I would try some light skeet or sporting clays ammo to compare with your field loads. If you are having the same problem with these various loads, then I would remove the bolt, remove the firing pin, and clean the firing pin channel within the bolt. It could be that in cold weather, any grease/oil in that channel could congeal thicker, preventing the firing pin to travel the full length of the channel. As suggested above, whether in hot or cold weather, keep all grease or oil from the firing pin channel. It is OK to clean out the channel with a little Hoppe's, but swab out the cleaning fluid.

·
934 Posts
I was raised in Alaska and yes, we ran firing pins without lubricant in the winter. How cold was it where you had a problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was around freezing probably around 30-35 degrees. I took it out this past weekend and it was colder, down to 10. Only shot 3 times but they all fired so I'm thinking it was a problem with moisture. Another issue I've been having with the gun is that even with 3" high brass shot it won't cycle sometimes, and this happened this weekend again. I fired twice and tried to shoot a third but the shell wasn't pushed all the way forward. I bought the gun used, would this be a problem with a weak recoil spring? I also though gas system possibly as I have not adjusted it at all since buying it, but it doesn't seem to have the problem ejecting or with shooting trap loads. It just won't seat all the way in colder weather.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have had a few duds with federal speed shock in all my 12 gauges. Every single gun. Most of the time they go boom. When they do go boom they kill stuff. 40 some odd cents a shot for high velocity steel that is deadly from 70 paces... I can’t really complain on the occasional dud.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Back in the late 60's I spent 3 years just North of Mt McKinley. Flash is right. Run'em dry in that kind of cold.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts