Shotgun Forums banner

benelli supernova 12g (pump)

4K views 14 replies 2 participants last post by  ddown 
#1 ·
any benelli nova/supernova experts/fans - couple of Qs:
(got supernova 28", just picked up a 18" tac barrel).

any paint/ideas/etc on lighting up the front blade?...i bought some 'glow in the dark' acrylic paint to try [stop me before i FU]

also, i bought 2 SN, one tac for my son a yr/2 ago, and both seem to catch/hang cycling...they do not slide nearly as smooth as my old fave 870, but i love being able to dump a shell out of the chamber w/o dumping them all. thanks!

#3 ·
I dont have a benelli, is the blade sight on the tac barrel?
the glow paint would probably be fine if you feel you got time to charge it. I would look for something like a tritium insert or maybe the burris red dot.
the tac barrel does have the blade front sight and a small iron windage near the chamber. i put some glow in the dark paint from a arts/craft store Michaels and will see how it goes/glows tonight.

i would love to put a trijicon front sight, but they said they did NOT make night sights for Benelli shotguns (which seemed contrary looking at the benelli web site?).

a tritium insert? wouldn't that require a smith milling/drilling the front blade? (i think the burris red dot is more than i want to do w/this gun b/c i want to go back/forth w/the 28" long barrel and put the tac on at night/home protection - best of both worlds).

thanks for your inputs.

#5 ·
also, i bought 2 SN, one tac for my son a yr/2 ago, and both seem to catch/hang cycling...they do not slide nearly as smooth as my old fave 870, but i love being able to dump a shell out of the chamber w/o dumping them all. thanks!
They catch/hang in what manner? Don't pick up a round on the elevator? A little more specifics might help with a better diagnosis.

I have a SN.....gravity allows it to cycle half way. With a little bump against the butt pad, when releasing the action, it opens fully.

How many rounds do you have through these two SNs?

#6 ·
They catch/hang in what manner? Don't pick up a round on the elevator? A little more specifics might help with a better diagnosis.

How many rounds do you have through these two SNs?
the catch/hangs: 1) appears to be me w/mine b/c i naturally pull back on the slide AS i shoot. With the benelli, it appears to be some safety or something aft trigger pull - you or IIIII have to then push the slide forward some and then backwards - 870 never a prob w/my spazness or natural way of pushng the gun into my shoulder w/my left hand (i'm a righty).[try this w/your SN unloaded of course...put backwards pressure on the slide and pull the trigger...mine hangs/blocks and any contiuned rear movement back to cycle will never happen, you have to release this presure or go fwd some and then it will cycle]. mine also will drop the slide near to the bottom held straight upwards - really jumps back too (slide release). 870 for over 30 yrs has always worked for my odd or different shooting.

2) my son's tac really does seem to have a catch/hang mid slide - i think we should have just taken it back and Not bought into the gun store i bought it from with "it just needs shootng and breaking in." my son did work it over and had it sliding nicely, but just the other day it would not slide well and we decided it needed cleaning, oiling and it did not improve it. you can see 2 or 3 worn to silver areas on the slide arms (orig black).

also, thanks for the brownels link frontierman adn you were right about 'charging' the glow in the dark paint...used a mini flash light on it cupped w/my hand. looked great carrying it around, but once i threw it up, it all just faded to black w/the gun.

#7 ·
can smith smooth out slide 'lock' at trigger pull?

the catch/hangs: 1) appears to be me w/mine b/c i naturally pull back on the slide AS i shoot. With the benelli, it appears to be some safety or something aft trigger pull - you have to then push the slide forward some and then backwards - 870 never a prob w/my spazness or natural way of pushng the gun into my shoulder w/my left hand (i'm a righty).[try this w/your SN unloaded of course...put backwards pressure on the slide and pull the trigger...mine hangs/blocks and any contiuned rear movement back to cycle will never happen, you have to release this presure or go fwd some and then it will cycle]. mine also will drop the slide near to the bottom held straight upwards - really jumps back too (slide release). 870 for over 30 yrs has always worked for my odd or different shooting.

wow quoted my own self...but to any Benelli S-Nova experts that might know if the slide could be smoothed out to release 'at' trigger pull with a little pressure pushing on the slide prior to trigger pull? this 'lock' seems to occur even w/the slide release. try putting a little downward pressure on the slide as you push the slide release - same thing that occurs w/me at trigger pull?

#8 ·
I've had a SN for a couple of years.

I just spent several minutes with it and a handful of dummy rounds.

As far as the slide is concerned, I tried pushing it, pulling it....and every manner of force between none and as much as I could muster while trying the trigger. Regardless, the trigger broke clean and easy each time.

In other words, I was not able to replicate the problem you are encountering.

#9 ·
thanks az

As far as the slide is concerned, I tried pushing it, pulling it....and every manner of force between none and as much as I could muster while trying the trigger. Regardless, the trigger broke clean and easy each time.

thanks for your efforts into my inquiries...i want to make sure i'm clear on the problem not being the tigger pull, but the slide action 'at trigger pull'. if your SN will drop the slide with arm/hand pullng the slide back slightly AT trigger pull w/o having to 'release' that 'anticipated' cycling that i tend to do, then maybe our guns are different or mine needs more rounds or a smith to smooth it out?

i tried this on my 870 a little last night and i almost got it to kinda freeze/hang/bind if i put enough slide cycling 'early' as i broke the trigger, but it mostly would cycle w/ea trigger pull no prob. my benelli, if any backwards 'anticipated' 2nd round cycle early spaztic action AT trigger pull will bind/lock and that slide will NOT drop until you release that back pressure and go fwd or retry the rearward cycle motion...and it does it even with hitting the slide release if you have back forestock pressure 'at slide release'. (emial and written forum communcation is not the best - i bet a phone call and we could get on the same page on this, ha). but again, thanks for trying to help me determine if it is a benelli thing or a spaz excited "here comes a double dove shot, oh, boy oh, boy" thing!

you and frontier owner and others have been quite helpful. thanks

#10 ·
az rotating bolt might be doing the 'hang'?

arizona98tj...i'm thinking maybe the 'rotating' bolt that might be doing this extra 'lock' at trigger pull or chambered round with any backwards slide pressure applied? mine definately acts different than an 870. i also think i might need to grab the forestock furture back and not at the two detents and 'hold it' more instead of pushing it into my shoulder. i use my left thumb an index on those two far detents and i should move it back about 2 inches i think - i think this will help my spazness too with added 'anticiapted' 2nd round 'bird-dogging' as i heard it called once in archery of being ahead of the shot. thanks for looking at yours though...i think i'll call my 'smith' tomorrow and ask him if he works any Benellis.

#11 ·
Smith thinks it is a safety thing w/rotating bolt

talked to my 'smith' and he thinks it is a 'safety' thing and also the rotating bolt and no real way around it as far as smoothing it out or anything to defeat it.

he also says some of the other pumps now have it to where you can't have any pressure (backward slide pressure) on the slide/forestock between trigger pulls as a safety feature.

i think i'm gonna just have to reposition my left hand and just let it float or rest in my left or maybe even some slight forward hold to the forestock....and more rounds down range too.

if i didn't have so much invested in it now w/the tac barrel, i think i'd just get the auto-loader b/c i'm never gonna get over 30 yrs of working an 870 slide! esp since i don't really shoot doves anymore and it's now just for home defense! i could just see me struggling w/an anticipated 2nd shot and fighting the slide lock up! - better make that first shot count! The End.

#12 ·
OK....I reread what you wrote....my bad for not getting it the first time around. :sad:

I still do not experience the issue you mentioned. At trigger pull, with some reward pressure on the slide, the action instantly starts to the rear once the hammer drops. There is no hesitation, no need to release that reward pressure, etc. It simply flows right into cycling the action. There is the possibility that a different situation exists under actual recoil.

I have put a couple thousand rounds through the SN. It's been through 6 days of training at Front Sight and I've used the heck out of it at the range. My range buddy has a SN also (his has the pistol grip) and he has never commented on this kind of a problem. Since we do a lot of multiple steel target engagements (usually 2 to 4 at a time), racking the slide as fast as one can to get the next target is happening.

I did what you mentioned....picked up an auto-loader. It is an FNH SLP Mark1. It took just a couple of trips to the range before I was beating my own multi-target engagement times....and I mean betting them by as much as 50%. God I love that shotgun. :mrgreen:

#13 ·
az thanks again...maybe other SN aren't as bad as mine?

OK....I reread what you wrote....my bad for not getting it the first time around. :sad:

I still do not experience the issue you mentioned. At trigger pull, with some reward pressure on the slide, the action instantly starts to the rear once the hammer drops. There is no hesitation, no need to release that reward pressure, etc. It simply flows right into cycling the action. There is the possibility that a different situation exists under actual recoil.

.... :mrgreen:
thanks Az...this is still enccouraging then. i'll have to try my son's SN next time he brings his over for cleaning and mabye a few in the gun store i trade with, be great if it was just my gun...but i really think it is my spazyness and 'ahead of myself' - when i was playing softball (yrs AGO) i was forever 'throwing the ball' before i caught it (defense-infield) -> E6! or E4!, but mostly E4, but i did love turning a double play - i lived to "turn 2!"...and me and my last SS had a record of turning two back in the AF days - we even had a legitimate triple play on a line drive!...oh, those were the days (glory days!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.