Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing a mossberg 500 bantom model. Link following.

Mossberg 12 Ga Bantam/24" Blue Barrel w/Accu Chokes & Wood Stock - Impact Guns

I have two questions about this gun.

1. it says it uses "accu-set" chokes. is this the same as the accu-choke?

2. The fore end on the bantom is the EZ reach forend, if I were to consider switching this into a full size gun, would I need to purchase an entirely new forend, or just replace the wooden peice?

Thanks guys!

-NickT

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey everyone,

I am thinking about purchasing a mossberg 500 bantom model. Link following.

Mossberg 12 Ga Bantam/24" Blue Barrel w/Accu Chokes & Wood Stock - Impact Guns

I have two questions about this gun.

1. it says it uses "accu-set" chokes. is this the same as the accu-choke?

2. The fore end on the bantom is the EZ reach forend, if I were to consider switching this into a full size gun, would I need to purchase an entirely new forend, or just replace the wooden peice?

Thanks guys!

-NickT
1. Not sure where you are seeing accu-set, all I see says accu-choke. I believe accu-set is a fixed choke (usually sold in as Big 5 specials) accu-choke is the actual changeable choke.

2. The forend on a shotgun is the wooden piece. The tube underneath is merely the "tube".

This has a 24" barrel, depending on your use I would recommend a 28" (maybe a 26" but 28" is more of the standard.)
Also, the "Bantam" model is more of a youth model. Likely the stock is shorter, that's also why the forend is farther back, and the barrel is shorter.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologize, on the mossberg website under the specs, it says accu-set chokes, and I realize all of the other things such as the shorter stock and decreased length to the fore end.

I am looking to purchase this gun as a secondary for my younger brother and/or girlfriend so as of right now the shorter stock and fore end are ok.

However, a year from now this may not be the case, and switching the stock/fore end out to standard sizes is what I am curious about.

will a regular synthetic fore end fit in place of the wooden fore end already on the gun.

and as far as barrel length, I am not too concerned. only thing I have seen effected by length is the velocity, which im not too worried about.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got one of these for my g/f a couple christmas's ago. Its been a real good gun with her. The gun came with a improved, modified, and full choke. Any choke that will fit a regular 500 will fit this shot gun. You can change the stock out the same way. I bought her a slug barrel for it last year too and it fit just fine. Its a pretty nice compact little shotgun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I apologize, on the mossberg website under the specs, it says accu-set chokes, and I realize all of the other things such as the shorter stock and decreased length to the fore end.

I am looking to purchase this gun as a secondary for my younger brother and/or girlfriend so as of right now the shorter stock and fore end are ok.

However, a year from now this may not be the case, and switching the stock/fore end out to standard sizes is what I am curious about.

will a regular synthetic fore end fit in place of the wooden fore end already on the gun.

and as far as barrel length, I am not too concerned. only thing I have seen effected by length is the velocity, which im not too worried about.
In that case you should be set. The mossberg 500 is a fantastic shotgun. I have the field and home version that came with an 18.5" and 28" barrels. Its a great shotgun with many after market accessories. You could customize this gun anyway you want. All 500 accessories should work on this model, including stocks and fore ends.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.