Shotgun Forums banner

Armed Range Officers On Sporting Clays Range?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  LWSSC 
#1 ·
Something's come up at my club and I'd like to know whether anybody on the board has seen or heard of the R.O.s on a SC range being armed with handguns and extra magazines.

#4 ·
At my club most all the RSOs are carrying. Just a matter of being a member of the club. Obviously a gun club will be firearm and carry friendly. If you are a member of the paying public you are also welcome to carry.

It is not a matter of us being armed security. It is just that it is a "gun club".

We have rifle, pistol, and trap ranges. Members serve as our RSOs. Most of our members carry. Either open or concealed.

#6 ·
I am a new SC shooter and joined the nearest club, on a rural lake in central Florida. Able to shoot on days when the club is closed to the public. Really enjoy the stroll in woods while shooting any combination of stations I choose.

Wild Life always present, so I pack a bear mace on my gun cart. Deer and turkey on 1st two days, plenty of wild hog signs.

#7 ·
I carry often while on the property. I conceal carry so most folks would never know. In 30 years I have come across
  • people who are wandering around and had no clue (if you saw the swamp they had to come from to get to where they were you would want to be armed before approaching them to check on them.)
  • a few snakes snakes (typically just move them along but if close to people and venomous we don't)
  • wild aggressive dog (was able to shoot near and scare it away luckily.)
  • you are confronting armed people. Caught one group drinking and they weren't happy being kicked out and banned and you never know how folks will react. Caught them early on but who knows how they would respond with a little more alcohol in the their system. (we check coolers and all before they go to the course. They snuck back "getting gun oil" and loaded up cooler while we couldnt see.) Luckily that was only group I ever was concerned about needing a firearm myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.