Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is a paste from Prince Law offices.
Scuttlebutt on a few different forums are passing this around, so I thought it may be important to any saiga fans and Charles Daly shotgun fans and the likes.

Prince Law Offices

January 19th, 2011
Today, the ATF announced at the 2011 SHOT Show that a new ruling would be issued on Monday, January 24, 2011, regarding the importability of certain shotguns. ATF informed the audience at the ATF Townhall meeting that they wanted to ensure that they were properly and justly enforcing the requirements of a shotgun being for a "sporting purpose."
This is definitely concerning given the huge demand for certain shotguns like the Saiga platform, which has seen a noticeable increase in demand. While ATF would not comment on which shotguns will be named in this ruling, I would not be surprised to hear that the Saiga is going to be mentioned in the ruling, given the large capacity magazines and feeding devices that are now available.
Some may remember that ATF determined that the USAS-12 was a Destructive Device because it had "no sporting purpose," and had a barrel diameter of more than 1/2 inch. The determination that it had no sporting purpose was largely because of the semi-automatic shotgun having large magazine and drum feeding devices, for which, ATF said there would be no sporting purpose.
When I inquired whether this ruling would encompass any DD determinations, the response was that it would not; however, I believe the affect will be that certain US-made shotguns may end up becoming DD's by this new ruling.
With that out of the way, if the ATF requires that saiga's (or any other shotgun) be registered as destructive devices like they did the streetsweeper and striker 12 and the likes, I think if I owned one and were required to register it as a DD, that I would list the barrel as short as possible. Then when I got my paperwork back, I'd have a short barrel shotgun/DD. But that's just me. No current law saying that one couldn't register as such.

I wouldn't shorten it until I got the paperwork back though :wink:

Then again, who knows what the folks at ATF have up their sleeve.

Is it just me, but why do I always feel dirty and the need to take a shower after I make one of these posts?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The shop I go to can't get their hands on any Saiga's at the moment, and I wanted one of their "sporting rifles". If, if they do get them back I'm going to do my best to grab one ASAP....I remember the Assault Ban all too well, drove prices through the roof.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I havn't been over to the Saiga forum in awhile. I wonder what the gurus over there have to say about this?
I've spent some time over on the saiga forum today, alot of speculation, some of them are saying everyone's over reacting, and that its not going to effect saigas. The newest rumor I heard is that the ATF is targeting imported shotguns equipped with bayonet lugs like Norinco's model 97' trench gun, saying it doesn't fall under the "sporting" category. Guess we will find out Monday.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts