Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of installing them on the slug barrel for my Remington 1100 to upgrade over the stock sights, which are difficult to see in low light (as in early morning or early evening just before dusk, when a lot of deer come out) and are hard to "get on" quickly for running deer. I've been using them for 7 years and they're okay but I really want to put some kind of fiber optics after using them on a handgun and on my uncle's muzzleloader.

Here are the two models I'm considering:

all-steel Pro Series Slug gun sights: http://www.truglo.com/IW_Products.m4p.pvx?;MULTI_ITEM_SUBMIT

the standard Slug gun sights:

I've read some conflicting reviews on the standard sights, especially in regard to their durability and toughness in the field. Anyone have any experience hunting with them, good or bad? Should I pay the extra money for the all steel versions, or are the standard sights adequately tough?

Appreciate any experience anyone has with these, good or bad. Also, if anyone knows of other quality, cost effective alternative fiber optic shotgun sights that will mount onto my Remington 1100 Slug barrel, I'm open to hearing those too!

Thanks

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm shooting Sabots out of it. Was using Hastings slugs but will have to change this year, as they don't make those anymore. Not sure what I'll switch to probably Remingtons or Hornadys.

ETA: I just realized that the Pro Series ones are only for Vent Rib Barrels and won't mount on the slug barrel. re-checking the chart on their website says I have to use either the Slug Gun sights or the Remington Rifle/Shotgun model (my slug barrel has rifle sights), which narrow my choice to those. I think I may lean toward the latter, as they are all metal though...

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kinda figured you were using a slug barrel and then saw the same thing about the vent rib sights. I tried using snap on sights once with slugs, never did it again

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kinda figured you were using a slug barrel and then saw the same thing about the vent rib sights. I tried using snap on sights once with slugs, never did it again
Yea I looked at Hi-Viz but was turned off by the fact their sights are held magnetically to the gun. Not a fan of that, I just doubt it would be as secure going through brush (common for me as we do a lot of deer drives through thick woods). Probably wouldn't hold zero as easily either. By contrast the Truglos are screwed in, should be easy to secure with a allen wrench and some blue loctite.

I think I'm gonna go with the Truglo Remington Slug Rifle/Shotgun sights model, as they're all metal and are made for the slug barrel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts