Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my neighbor just inherited this shotgun it is a Remington model 11 and printed on the side of the gun it says 1903.

Does anybody know what it is worth?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Might Have Little $Value$ For What You Have

Browning designed it back just after the turn of the century. Remington bought the rights and then slightly improved it. (inside parts like twin action cams)

Was cut down and used in the trenches of WW1 by the USMC. Also mag tube extensions added and used as a 12 shot shot gun in WW1.

Recoil operated. Well built. Action washers reverse for hi or low loads. Little felt recoil. Spare parts still available. Had either thumb or tang safeties.

Value? Not very much. Probably less than $350.00 in excellent shape. Still makes a great inexpensive home defense gun. I have owned/used several.

Hope this helps. HB of CJ (old coot) :)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a 16 gauge 11-48. They were excellent guns. The stocks were excellent wood and they balanced well, although heavy. However the design IMO is dated and the 870 and 1100 were good improvements

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Auto 5 was first manufactured in 1902, go to "Browning date your fire arm" and look up Auto 5, have your serial number I believe on remington its on the side of the receiver. It's a start, Auto 5's can go anywhere from $500-1500 + depends on condition

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question for any knowledgable folks out there: I have a Savage 740 which is a clone of the Remington Model 11. It shoots birdshot loads all day long with the friction rings set for light loads. But when shooting buckshot, with the rings set properly, the barrel jams hard into the receiver requiring a take-down and couple whacks with a mallet to free it up.
I've heard of fiber washers and such to look for in the back of the receiver on some guns...don't know if that's the issue here? Any info would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
those rem 11's have a piece of leather rivited to the back of the receiver to act as a buffer bumper. sounds like the bolt/bbl is sticking into the old decayed leather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Remington Model 11's have five shot capacity. Another shotgun very similar to the Model 11 is the Remington Sportsman, which has three shot capacity. I have one of these Sportsman models that was my Fathers and I inherited it upon his passing.

Murphy

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.