Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A close friend of mine bought one several years ago. I've shot it many times and IMO it performed almost as well as my Mossberg 500. The finish and stocks look cheap, that's my only complaint.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got one. It is every bit as good as the 500. Forearm attaches a little different and the safety is crossbolt instead of tang. I got the 88 becasue I do not like the tang safety and the 88 style is what I am used to. Saved some $$ also so not a bad deal.

Get it, you will like it and mossy 500 after market parts fit it and you can convert the forearm to the 500 style if you want aswell........

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a maverick.
I would say its just a good of a shotgun as a moss 500. The forearm does attach differently. they use the dual action bars like everyone else. the tactical uses a molded in action bars, the field uses a shorter tube than the 500 so forearms aren't interchangable. all stocks are the same. the receiver isn't drilled and tapped.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
good guns. The earliest were built a little cheaper and lacked the dual action bars but that was only for a few years of production.

not quite as pretty as the 500 but a great gun for the money.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its what i use for trap, was also used to teach boyscouts how to shoot trap, it has a un countable amout of rounds through it, still functions perfectly. The trigger isnt the greatest but it still works.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I still have a Ford Maverick (39 years now) and a Maverick 88 that I use to shoot unruly pumpkins and milk jugs. Great bang for the buck, pun intended. As Boris mentions, the safety is more what I was used to, too.
back in the day my mom had a ford maverick. I want one to bring back the memories!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My first shotgun is a Maverick 88

Need some info on the 88 7+1. Any good?
I bought a Maverick 88 5+1 shot as my first shotgun and I have not had any problems with it. I've fired a few 100 rounds though it now. Most of the parts are compatible with the Mossburg 500. I did put a Limbsaver recoil pad on it as the stock one was was just a piece of hard rubber.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have one that I put an ATI fold up stock ,heatshield with ghostring sights, shell carrier and Flash light. This is what I count on for home defense among other things.;)

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have one that I put an ATI fold up stock ,heatshield with ghostring sights, shell carrier and Flash light. This is what I count on for home defense among other things.;)
I also have a 6 round side saddle and a Streamlight TLR-1. I have the light mounted on a Laserlyte Tri Rail.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts