Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a retired old dude and my sons must think I have one foot in the grave because they are putting a full court press on me to divide up my guns while I am still alive. Sounds easy enough but I am trying to make the piles equal, like Christmas for 5 year-olds. If one gets a hunting 12 ga then so should the other and so on...trap gun, skeet gun. I accumulated these guns over a long lifetime never once considering how I would divide the spoils at some future date.

Here is my delima. I have a Remington model 31 and a Winchester model 12 that have been my work horses over the years in duck blinds and trap ranges. I would like to put new wood on both of them and probably re-blued as well.

I have reached out several times to High Plains Gun Stocks with some rather basic questions about their Model 12 stocks and have yet to receive any response or reply. Has anyone had any recent interaction with these folks or have they gone out of business?

On a different note, I have a Winchester Model 101 Skeet Set (20, 28 &410) in excellent condition for sale and a Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade 20 ga. that I would be interested in trading for a Winchester Model 24 Pigeon 20 ga.

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am a retired old dude and my sons must think I have one foot in the grave because they are putting a full court press on me to divide up my guns while I am still alive. Sounds easy enough but I am trying to make the piles equal, like Christmas for 5 year-olds. If one gets a hunting 12 ga then so should the other and so on...trap gun, skeet gun. I accumulated these guns over a long lifetime never once considering how I would divide the spoils at some future date.

Here is my delima. I have a Remington model 31 and a Winchester model 12 that have been my work horses over the years in duck blinds and trap ranges. I would like to put new wood on both of them and probably re-blued as well.

I have reached out several times to High Plains Gun Stocks with some rather basic questions about their Model 12 stocks and have yet to receive any response or reply. Has anyone had any recent interaction with these folks or have they gone out of business?

On a different note, I have a Winchester Model 101 Skeet Set (20, 28 &410) in excellent condition for sale and a Winchester 101 Pigeon Grade 20 ga. that I would be interested in trading for a Winchester Model 24 Pigeon 20 ga.

Thanks for reading.

First of all, welcome from the Gulf Coast of Texas. I've spent many hours myself in marshes and rice fields from Anahuac to Matagorda bay and inland. Hunted some with my Dad's Model 12 which my Brother now has.

Boyds makes a Field Style stock and forend for the Model 12, but nothing for the 31. I've no experience with their shotgun stocks, but have been happy with two rifle stocks I have purchased from them. You should also talk to them as over the years, the Model 12 had some slight variations that could make a difference. You might just look at doing a refinish of the 31. I had some success bring back the wood from some older Milsurp and hunters over the years.

You didn't say what part of Texas so I would stick with the big boys when it comes to gunsmiths unless you have someone local that you REALLY trust. Here are a few.

Simmons in Olathe, Kansas
Nu Line Guns in Missouri
Pat Laib in Minnesota
McKnight Gunsmithing in Utah

Good luck and all the best.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, welcome from the Gulf Coast of Texas. I've spent many hours myself in marshes and rice fields from Anahuac to Matagorda bay and inland. Hunted some with my Dad's Model 12 which my Brother now has.

Boyds makes a Field Style stock and forend for the Model 12, but nothing for the 31. I've no experience with their shotgun stocks, but have been happy with two rifle stocks I have purchased from them. You should also talk to them as over the years, the Model 12 had some slight variations that could make a difference. You might just look at doing a refinish of the 31. I had some success bring back the wood from some older Milsurp and hunters over the years.

You didn't say what part of Texas so I would stick with the big boys when it comes to gunsmiths unless you have someone local that you REALLY trust. Here are a few.

Simmons in Olathe, Kansas
Nu Line Guns in Missouri
Pat Laib in Minnesota
McKnight Gunsmithing in Utah

Good luck and all the best.
Thank you. I will give Boyds a look. And as an FYI, I live in the Houston area where I have Lohman and Briley close at hand.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts