Shotgunforums.com banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my A400 since May and I really enjoy shooting it... BUT I am still having a problem removing the cocking handle and reinstalling it.... Does anyone have a hint to how to remove it without wrestling it for 15 minutes ?

·
Super Moderator
6,498 Posts
There is a line on the rotating bolt head, that should be horizontal to line up the opening to remove the charging handle, so you will need to slightly push the rotating bolt head in (and I mean ever so slightly)

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a line on the rotating bolt head, that should be horizontal to line up the opening to remove the charging handle, so you will need to slightly push the rotating bolt head in (and I mean ever so slightly)
Actually there are 2 lines on the bolt head. I am thinking that you are speaking to the line most forward..... I decided to get an oversized charging handle which should allow me to get a better grip on it. I am thinking that this will fix my problem. I really like shooting this gun and cleaning it is not that difficult EXCEPT for this darn charging handle ! I'll let you all know how my idea works out,

·
Registered
22 Posts
My Benelli Montefeltro has the same issue. I got used to it and simply cover it with a doubled or quadruple folded rag and gently pull it out with pliers.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Benelli Montefeltro has the same issue. I got used to it and simply cover it with a doubled or quadruple folded rag and gently pull it out with pliers.
I have tried that but you almost need three hands . A gunsmith friend showed me a trick of wrapping the exposed portion of the handle with masking tape. The outside of the masking tape stays sticky and allows you to get a better grip on the handle.... BTW if you are interested in getting an Oversized handle Midwest Gun works has them for your gun. I believe Benelli calls the "Frag Handles"

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have tried that but you almost need three hands . A gunsmith friend showed me a trick of wrapping the exposed portion of the handle with masking tape. The outside of the masking tape stays sticky and allows you to get a better grip on the handle.... BTW if you are interested in getting an Oversized handle Midwest Gun works has them for your gun. I believe Benelli calls the "Frag Handles"
Thanks. I have the Frag oversized bolt handle sitting on the shelf. It came with gun in a package deal from Dunn's. I don't have a need for it and don't care for the aesthetics. Most of all, I avoid damage it could do to adjacent guns when I take the gun in and out of the safe. (I need a bigger safe!)

I don't find my current technique too inconvenient and rarely think about it. That is, until I clean one of my other semi-autos that has an easy-to-remove bolt handle!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remove the barrel then use my left hand to hold the receiver and use my left pointing finger to depress the bolt back and forth while pulling on the handle with my right hand and it pops right out. I have 2(mine and the wife's) that are the ultimate plus models used for sporting clays weekly and mine come out easy?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. I have the Frag oversized bolt handle sitting on the shelf. It came with gun in a package deal from Dunn's. I don't have a need for it and don't care for the aesthetics. Most of all, I avoid damage it could do to adjacent guns when I take the gun in and out of the safe. (I need a bigger safe!)

I don't find my current technique too inconvenient and rarely think about it. That is, until I clean one of my other semi-autos that has an easy-to-remove bolt handle!
We all need a BIGGER safe ! Juist passing on some info you might need in the future .

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I remove the barrel then use my left hand to hold the receiver and use my left pointing finger to depress the bolt back and forth while pulling on the handle with my right hand and it pops right out. I have 2(mine and the wife's) that are the ultimate plus models used for sporting clays weekly and mine come out easy?
Many folks have told me the same thing... I am starting to wonder if there is something like a burr on either the handle or the slot !
Thanks for you input @!

·
Super Moderator
6,498 Posts
I remove the barrel; I hold the action in my RH (I am LH) and with a finger gently move the bolt so that line is horizontal; when it gets in position, my left hand grips the charging handle and pulls. On one gun, it needs an ever so slight wiggle, on the other it comes out real easy (almost TOO easy). Once you get it out, let the bolt rotate forward and then slowly push it back so you can see just how far you need to go as you look into the spot where the handle goes. You will see the keyhole opening better that way.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually there are 2 lines on the bolt head. I am thinking that you are speaking to the line most forward..... I decided to get an oversized charging handle which should allow me to get a better grip on it. I am thinking that this will fix my problem. I really like shooting this gun and cleaning it is not that difficult EXCEPT for this darn charging handle ! I'll let you all know how my idea works out,
I received my oversized charging handle this afternoon and went to install it and wound up fighting the old handle for about 5 minutes. Once I got the old handle out I installed the new one and it went right in, "clicked" and was solidly in place..... I removed it and reinstalled it and again it went right in and "clicked" in place..... I cannot see any difference between the two handles but there must be something minute.

Reactions: oneounceload

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just watch out with that handle; some stick out so much you have to remove them to use a case.
this is the same handle used on the A400 Black.
Fortunately when I bought the case for my A400 I bought an oversize case,. So It doesn't seem to be an issue... But thanks for reminding me.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just watch out with that handle; some stick out so much you have to remove them to use a case.
Mrs. One eye knitted a small cover to install over the large handle ! It fits snug enough that it will stay in place while in the gun sock or in the soft case. The gun is so much more enjoyable to shoot when I don't have to dread cleaning it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Likewise have an A400 and problems removing the handle. Best I've found so far is using a short piece of nylon string. Wrap it around the handle leaving enough to hang on to, align the line on the bolt and pull. Works for me.
Curt

·
Registered
381 Posts
One eye...Do you have the one with the Bronze receiver? I saw one last year and it was really pleasing to the eye!

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One eye...Do you have the one with the Bronze receiver? I saw one last year and it was really pleasing to the eye!
No, Mine has the Blue receiver AKA the "Smurf Gun".
That bronze receiver sounds like it would be very attractive.
I just cleaned mine today and that Over sized charging handle still zips in and out with no problem at all. I am guessing that the original one has a minute burr on it.
I was half tempted to try to reinstall the original one today just to see if it would work or if it would still jam up. But after cleaning 3 shotguns and a revolver I didn't want to get stuck monkeying around with a jammed handle. LOL

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The smurf gun is meant for some serious target use
The more I shoot SC's the more I realize that is a very mental game.
It is never the arrow but it is always the Indian

1 - 19 of 19 Posts