Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All
My next door neighbor is a heck of a guy. Him and his wife look after our place when we are on vacation, and he has a standing order that I check with him first before I buy any hardware because surely he has a bucketful of the needed item somewhere. He really helped me out the first couple of years I was roughing it here before the wife joined me, prior to getting the well fixed and getting the wood stove put in. At any rate, he recently brought over a brand new 2021 issue of Guns and Ammo, a magazine I have not subscribed to since the very late 80's.
There was not one article in the magazine that covered anything classic or the slightest bit interesting to me. Only plastic, aluminum, and self defense cover to cover. What is so fascinating about shooting some joker in self defense? Such an ordeal would have you second guessing yourself the rest of your life, even if you managed to avoid a court date. Every gun featured is touted on its ability to be great for defense, or a military application. Seems to me we need a new publication dedicated to sporting purposes, the classic firearms, and to the people who are still making them happen. I only care for the outdoors, and sporting applications.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Try Shooting Sportsman, Garden and Gun, Clay Shooting USA, Shotgun Sports and several others. I get a mag from Quail Forever, but I subscribe to Shooting Sportsman. Bruce Buck's gun reviews are honest (I know him personally and a bunch of us always gave input to them) and they have great articles on bird hunting as well. Not a tactical gun in any article

·
Registered
328 Posts
Oneounce has pretty well got you covered on the magazines. I have read those in the past and they are good reading, good information. About getting old, you are only as old as you want to be. You just haven't found what your looking for in a magazine.😜

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for the panic. Sometimes it seems I am getting out of step with the world these days. The world is turning to fast for me I guess.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Sorry for the panic. Sometimes it seems I am getting out of step with the world these days. The world is turning to fast for me I guess.
Nah, getting old is just part of the equation. There's getting old mentally and getting old physically. My wife says I'll never grow up mentally (like she thinks I am supposed to care about that) - it's when the knees say no kneeling or the shoulder sayd no throwing a ball that life begins to suck for me

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright, some good news finally. Brownell's emailed me the other day, the long awaited original red box Acraglas is back in stock. I expect my back-ordered batch from the supplier will ship here shortly, so it is soon back on task with the LC Smith build. If ever the powers that be try to shut the country down again over a simple flu epidemic I will run for office. That is, provided the economy survives the drubbing it took over this last debacle. This is leadership?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The wife and I finally broke down and got the vaccine, but I am still not sure if the folks heading up this COVID thing know what they are about. The second Maderna shot got into my shoulders, then my lower back. I was worthless for nearly four days. I am not sure I want to know what is in it.

·
975 Posts
Another board I'm on had a thead about the vaccines and asked if there were any side effects from taking them.

The Pfizer had a few sore shoulders and a small amount of people who didn't feel quite right for a day or two but the ones who took the Moderna had a lot of complaints.

Mrs. Flash and I got the Pfizer and had a small amount of soreness for one day and that was it for both shots.

Informationally, it looks like Europe is going to do a thing they're calling a "digital passport" for those who are vaccinated and interestingly enough, Hawaii just started the same sort of thing on July 8.

Basically, that's why we got the shots, because we travel every year and intend to keep doing so.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I will give my 2 cents worth. IMO if you have any health conditions going in, the Moderna is likely to aggravate them. I have sustained a few structural injuries over the years and with inherited arthritis in the family, those areas have come home to roost. The Moderna vaccine lit them up magnificently, right down to an uncomfortable tooth, but in a week I was mostly out of it. Supposedly this vaccine is effective against the new Delta variety, if the unvaccinated get it and the missus and I don't the shot was well worth the discomfort.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Many people including Kids are dying from vaccinations ,the UGLY truth no one permits to be aired !. Censorship WH 101

Stop and consider for a moment ; WHY the current pedophile would secretly transport 1 million + illegal un-vaccinated Persons into OUR Country , while using our Military to provide that transportation and insist WE be vaccinated (n)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Gray's Sporting Journal is also a classic magazine that provides articles on fishing and hunting that are well written and photographed. Not a black gun ever mentioned.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
Another board I'm on had a thead about the vaccines and asked if there were any side effects from taking them.

The Pfizer had a few sore shoulders and a small amount of people who didn't feel quite right for a day or two but the ones who took the Moderna had a lot of complaints.

Mrs. Flash and I got the Pfizer and had a small amount of soreness for one day and that was it for both shots.

Informationally, it looks like Europe is going to do a thing they're calling a "digital passport" for those who are vaccinated and interestingly enough, Hawaii just started the same sort of thing on July 8.

Basically, that's why we got the shots, because we travel every year and intend to keep doing so.
And the only reason I got it (besides placating my nervous-Nellie of a wife.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It really is a pretty sad state of affairs when a fellow feels like he cannot trust his own government, but that is where I am. How did we get from the greatest nation that decided WWII to this convoluted self-serving mess?

·
975 Posts
Democrats being elected into high offices are responsible for the majority of it, but there are also some RINOs who can take some of the blame.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
And the education system that turns out indoctrinated kids who are taught everything that goes wrong is someone else's fault, and they have to have some group to hate and blame for their own bad choices

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Nah, getting old is just part of the equation. There's getting old mentally and getting old physically. My wife says I'll never grow up mentally (like she thinks I am supposed to care about that) - it's when the knees say no kneeling or the shoulder sayd no throwing a ball that life begins to suck for me
Growing OLD is mandatory. Growing UP is optional. I'll pass on the option.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts