Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from my other threads you may have seen I have been modifying my Mossberg 930 SPX to be a better HD gun as well as be set up for the 2 and 3 gun matches I have started competing in.

Here's what I did tonight:
You can see the big difference between the stock bolt handle and this Choate one. I didn't think I would like it as well as I do!

I put in the S&J follower in and now am down to 6+1 capacity but after manually cycling several full loads through the spring never once binded up which I had some issues with in the past. Plus the hi vis color and nipple allow for quick determination both visually and/or by touch.

To make up for my loss of capacity I put this 4 shot Mesa side saddle on. I like it alot, the rubber internal grips allow you to load from the top or bottom. I like being able to pull from the bottom so I can slide it right into the magazine. Plenty of clearence by the rear sight too.

Here are some pics of the whole thing, I already had the Gear Sector sling and Streamlight TLR1 with remote switch.

Here's a link I found to help me put the thing back together again after I had a spring shoot out that was not listed in the manual!!!
Mossberg 930 SPX ... help! - TheFiringLine Forums
Bottom line make sure the 930 is cocked before pulling out the bolt carrier!

Now to get it to the range!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is mine. I got this UTG mag clamp that is supposed to clamp to the mag tube then hold a flash light. I clamped the barrel and mag. I have some sling adapters coming to clamp onto the rail.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lookin good , i had one and i couldnt get used to shooting it the sights set way to high for me
Really? I love the sights, you know this is why I always encourage every one to shoot a gun before they buy it because it is such a personal thing that no reviewer can tell you what's best! For example I was set on buying the Sig P250 after reading the reviews but after rent one at the range I hated it. I'm sure its the perfect gun for some but not me.

Any who the best thing for me was taking this apart and puting on the side saddle and follower and what not. I'm usually some one who pays some one to do it for me because I am too nervous that I won't be able to put it back together again! I feel way more confident knowing the gun inside and out now!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a stock 930, you can check it out in the My New/First shotgun thread a few below this one. Anyway, would that follower hinder my capacity? Just curious as I like the high vis of that one.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a stock 930, you can check it out in the My New/First shotgun thread a few below this one. Anyway, would that follower hinder my capacity? Just curious as I like the high vis of that one.
Not sure on your 930, for me I'm about 1/2 an inch short from being able to keep my full capacity.

This thing shoots like a dream though, I love being able to put 12 gauge rounds downrange as fast as I can pull the trigger!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not sure on your 930, for me I'm about 1/2 an inch short from being able to keep my full capacity.

This thing shoots like a dream though, I love being able to put 12 gauge rounds downrange as fast as I can pull the trigger!
Hate to dig up an old thread, but, I just ordered the Choate follower from midway. I was curious if anyone else has used this one. I was thinking that I could just trim the tail of the follower to allow for full capacity. Any one know if that would be a really bad idea or if it would work?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have yet to have a problem with my follower. I want to get a turkey barrel so I can use a choke or maybe just send mine in for one of those fully adjustable ones.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't had any issues with mine either. I just wanted the High Vis orange for easy checking of the weapon. I am actually also adding the bolt handle shown above, wanted a little something more to grab on with my fat fingers.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just unscrew the extended part of the tube in front of the fore gripspring is released and so is the follower
I wish it was that easy. Well it might be, I'm not sure, but I don't have the SPX, but the turkey model of the 930, so I have the standard mag tube. I have looked for any other way to do it without having to heat the threads and use a strap wrench to remove the whole thing, as done in another thread... I believe the M4 mag extension thread.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, I had to use the same method as in the M4 thread. Heat gun and strap wrench. Installed, no need to trim, still fit 4 in the tube. After installing it and shooting a few rounds to make sure that it function well I cleaned it, taking the mag tube off to give the threads one more good cleaning. When I reinstalled the mag tube, it pushed the follower through the hole and almost all the way out. So I had to take it out and put the old one back in. It looked like it just shaved the plastic off or something, it was wierd. Also, the new bolt handle is great, I recomend if you got big hands like me.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had to rehatch this thread. I looked at a 930 SPX today and it is saaaawweeeet! I think I want one. But damn the price tag all to hell! Even though that's a good price for a semi. I may just have to get another pump.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use mine for 3 gun matches. I just sent the barrel off to have it threaded for chokes. The guy doing the work is Mike Orlen. He is supposed to be one of the best and he is cheap. A local gunsmith wanted 100 just for the thread work. I am getting 2 chokes, thread work and return shipping for 90 bucks.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Still cheaper than a Benelli M4 auto-loader! That's a nicer gun but this is good for the price. I cleared up the spring binding problem with the enhanced follower but I have a lot (say 35% of the shots) issue with it feeding properly. I have tried every load under the sun and is just some times like to fire and not cycle seemingly at random meaning some times under a heavy slug load it won't and some times under a regular 00buck load it won't and every thing in between....then again sometimes it will on the same load.

I rate this thing as fun but the least reliable gun I have ever owned.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just bought the 930 Tac and mine came with a really nice big round checkered nob for cycling the action and no binding problems so I am still at full capacity.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts