Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody shot/own both?

Probably my next purchase, but can't decide if the 887 is worth the extra money. Definitely looks a lot cooler!

Mostly be used for a home defense gun with occasional trap/target shooting.

Appreciate the input!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never touched the 887, but I do love my 870. It's excellant for the trap shooting and bird hunting I do. Get a bird barrel/hd combo and you'd be set me thinks.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My wife has an 887 tactical. She really likes it. It is already set up the way she wants it. Just need to add a sling a light.

I would say if you want to customize it go with the 870. There are way more parts available for it the the almost non-existent parts for the 887.

There have been a few bad reviews on the internet but we have had zero problems with hers.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had both, I say had both cause the 887 is not in my safe anymore. I sold a Benellin Nova to get one cause like you, I liked it's looks. I had it for a week or so, and it wouldn't cycle after firing, back to remy, they replaced something and I'm sure it was fine. But I never could get that out of my head.

It also "felt" cheap to me, lots of flex in it. I sold it and got another 3.5" nova

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Friends had several 870's; rugged and combat proven. Wanted to try something different so I went with the 887 tactical. After several hundred rounds, had some sticking problems with the bolt. Polished up some areas and now it's smooth like butter. I do wish there were more aftermarket accessories though.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
870 is probably the best shotgun platform on the market. It's like the AR of shotguns. Easy to customize and everyone has one. I've seen them in all forms, and that means, clean dirty, and rust buckets. And they all operated great.
The armorers school was super easy... because it's a SIMPLE! It's a basic system that's proven.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an 870 but have been around my buddy's 887 shoots good but I don't like the looks the only thing I like about it better than my 870 is the but pad and the fact that it'll shoot the 3.5 shells but the 870 can too if you get the supper mag my vote goes for the 870

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
2000+ rounds through my 887 w no problems whatsoever. Last year it got quite a bit mucked up duck hunting but never complained. 870 is an excellent choice as well and I don't think you could go wrong with either

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So do I get a kitted out 870 or buy basic and mod it
Depends on what you need, want to accomplish in the future and the time frame. If there is a kit with everything you want and the price is right, go for it. You can always buy the basic parts and mod it back down if you want.

I chose to get the basic and am modding it up the way I want. Mainly because I'm new to shotguns and didn't know what I'd want. So far I've got alternate barrels (i.e. short), and a sling adapter on the mag tube. Yeah, pretty rockin!

I'm looking at an extended mag tube, ergonomic foregrip and a buttstock with a pistol grip. Lots of options from lots of manufacturers. I think the hardest part is getting the right parts to come up on a google search.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts