Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 870 Tactical model home defense shotgun (12 ga).

Knowing there are a few different "tactical" models of this gun, I tried doing some additional research online to learn more about the model I have when I realized I couldn't seem to find an example anywhere of exactly what I have.

It's supposed to be a model 25077, Express Synthetic, 18" fixed-cylinder choke barrel, single-bead front sight, with a 6+1 shell capacity.

However, this is the product image for the 870 Express Synthetic (notice the length of the magazine tube, the removable clamp with the sling swivel stud, and look at the design of the fore-end):

Now look at what I have and notice the differences in the mag tube length, the fixed detent with no sling stud, the different magazine cap, and the different fore-end:

but as you can see stamped on the receiver, it is an 870 Tactical:

It does have the fixed cylinder choke barrel and the 6+1 capacity, but can anyone explain why I can't find any 870 Tactical, either on Remington's site or anyone else's, that looks exactly like what I have?

I guess I just want to know I have the real deal and not some counterfeit, or something that's been "frankenstein-ed" together.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your forend is the 870P style synthetic forend.

Personally, I find that preferable to the express-style forend.

The difference in mag tubes is it looks like they put a six-round magazine tube on it, instead of the 4-round tube with an extension.

And--I don't think that's a +2 extension on the stock picure; that looks like a 4 round. Two round extensions are much shorter.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wonder if it has something to do with Florida Law? Probably not, but here are some pics of mine I just picked up a couple days ago. It's an 870 Tactical with Ghost Ring Sights from the factory. Maybe that's the difference between tactical models?

It has a factory +2 mag extension, Ghost Sights, Breach Choke, Same Forend as yours, Same style Remington stamping in the receiver, anything else you see different?

What are the two letters stamped on the Left side of the Barrel next to the receiver? I can tell you when it was born.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is only a letter "G" showing, which is kind of cock-eyed.

There's a slight mark to the left of it which could possibly be part of another letter--Z or L, maybe?

Looks like a mis-stamp, actually.

Just keeps getting better and better. :-|

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wonder if it has something to do with Florida Law? Probably not, but here are some pics of mine I just picked up a couple days ago. It's an 870 Tactical with Ghost Ring Sights from the factory. Maybe that's the difference between tactical models?

It has a factory +2 mag extension, Ghost Sights, Breach Choke, Same Forend as yours, Same style Remington stamping in the receiver, anything else you see different?

What are the two letters stamped on the Left side of the Barrel next to the receiver? I can tell you when it was born.
That's a purdy rig you got!

I literally had to take about 1.5" off the pump forend in order to put the 6 round sidesaddle on otherwise it would smack into it and I wouldn't be able to cycle the action...now...runs smooth as butter and I can carry an extra round of fight with me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.