Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last weekend I bought a 870 Tactical with mag extension and 18" barrel. My question is right now there is a bead front sight and I would like to change it out for something else. There is no rib on the barrel and I cant tell if the sight is a screw in or pressed in. So before I attempt to change it out I would like to know what Im going to be dealing with.

TIA

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So the front sight needs to be cut off? When I bought it there was a fiber optic sight that was universal and said that it would work on remington shotguns but didnt specify the 870 tact. The kit came with a few different sizes of screws that would screw in to the orignal hole from the old sight and then the fiber optic sight then screws in to the top of that.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when I had my 870 I wanted a fiber optic front sight. I took it to my gunsmith and he cut off the bead, drilled and taped it and installed the sight all for 30 bucks.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ordered a set of XS big dot sights for my Glock 36. Really liked them on a friend's pistol. Been checking out the big dots for my work in progress 870 build also.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So last weekend I bought a 870 Tactical with mag extension and 18" barrel. My question is right now there is a bead front sight and I would like to change it out for something else. There is no rib on the barrel and I cant tell if the sight is a screw in or pressed in. So before I attempt to change it out I would like to know what Im going to be dealing with.

TIA
It should be a screw in bead. Take it easy and it should come right out.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did you know the 870 Tactical Express comes with XS ghost ring sights and picatinny rail? You could have saved time and money and just bought it that way :) That's what I did. the XS sights are nice, and I actually like the sights better without side "bump protection" walls to block your view of the target or surrounding area.
-Thomas

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have these trijicon ghost ring sights for mine. Basically you cut the front bead off and it comes with steel type epoxy that puts the new front site over the old. It will pretty much never come off again works great.
Trijicon RE04 Remington Front & Ghost Ring Rear Night Sight Set for Remington Shotguns 870,1100 & 1187 FREE S&H RE04, RE04-Y. Trijicon Tritium & Fiber Optic Night Sights.
That front sight epoxies on over the factory bead. No need to cut it off.

Your current bead should be pressed in to the ramp. Older ones screwed in, but the newer ones are press fit.

FWIW - The Scattergun Tech/Wilson Combat sights are the same as (and made by) Trijicon.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It should be a screw in bead. Take it easy and it should come right out.
I had an older 870 and the bead came off of it really easily. I put on the Advantage Tactical Sight, Universal Shotgun Sight and had to remove the front bead. That sight really works, by the way. I've got one on my XDm .40, too, and it really works for my old eyes.

Kenichi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts