21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Unload the gun.
shoulder it and get some pictures from straight on and the side.

My initial thought is you dont have enough comb height and your not able to get your cheek pressed against the gun so the gun pushes against your cheek instead of slapping it.
Also, you may have too much drop at the heal. giving more muzzle flip.

Also, what are you shooting?
Shooting 3gun, but I have had this problem with pretty much every shotgun I have ever shot (with clays and everything). I think it is just the shape of my cheek bone and my long neck where I have to tilt my head far forward to line up the bead. Not sure what exactly is different with the dimensions of the Hogue stock but it works perfectly for me.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bump...

I'm looking for something similar, I have no problems with the 870's synthetic stock, except that I get kicked in the shoulder, but with the BlackHawk Stock, I get kicked in the cheek...

Is there a win win somewhere or do I have to choose where I want to get kicked?

I'm looking for some 1/4" 30 durometer self-adhesive neoprene but I cannot find anything softer that the 60-70 stuff, as I thought I'd just cut out a piece that fits an use it....hhhhmmmm Anybody got any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advanced.
I've never had a problem with kick in the shoulder, but I have quite a lot of muscle there from lifting weights. this might sound weird but you could try doing bench presses and shoulder presses and build up the muscle there. You should also probably do some upper back exercise to keep it balanced, like rows. I never feel discomfort from shooting, even if I shoot a whole bunch and the next day i wake up with a spotty, bloody rash on my shoulder. Usually I get it the worst from my AK. A couple of times I have forgotten I had been shooting and was freaked out by this mysterious rash, scared it was a brown recluse bite or something.

The grip strength you develop helps with shooting too.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I've never had a problem with kick in the shoulder, but I have quite a lot of muscle there from lifting weights. this might sound weird but you could try doing bench presses and shoulder presses and build up the muscle there. You should also probably do some upper back exercise to keep it balanced, like rows. I never feel discomfort from shooting, even if I shoot a whole bunch and the next day i wake up with a spotty, bloody rash on my shoulder. Usually I get it the worst from my AK. A couple of times I have forgotten I had been shooting and was freaked out by this mysterious rash, scared it was a brown recluse bite or something.

The grip strength you develop helps with shooting too.
Thanks for the tip, I still work out every day even after retiring from almost 20 years of MMA. I seem to recall that maybe the OP had the same issue I have...I think I have a long neck, which puts everything kinda outta whack. Hense the reason I'm looking for something like neoprene, cause I can't exactly shorten my neck, but I can put a rise on the stock or modify it to fit me better.

But again, you have a great point thank you, I might actually look into it if the wife lets me spend a more $$ lol

Shoot straight.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.