Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gauge Browning BPS, and have a 3 1/2 inch shell with 4.25oz of No.5 lead shot, its 39gn Blue Dot powder and a super full turkey choke. I have already shot a 3oz lead load like this and it seemed to do fine at 50 yards, could the gun handle this load and is there any suggestions or things I should know

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I have a 10 gauge Browning BPS, and have a 3 1/2 inch shell with 4.25oz of No.5 lead shot, its 39gn Blue Dot powder and a super full turkey choke. I have already shot a 3oz lead load like this and it seemed to do fine at 50 yards, could the gun handle this load and is there any suggestions or things I should know
Welcome on your first post.
Is this a published load, or are you just experimenting? You should know that there are NO reliable signs of overpressure in shotgun ammo. Experimenting with untested loads is a good way to destroy your shotgun and possibly cause severe injuries to yourself or bystanders.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome on your first post.
Is this a published load, or are you just experimenting? You should know that there are NO reliable signs of overpressure in shotgun ammo. Experimenting with untested loads is a good way to destroy your shotgun and possibly cause severe injuries to yourself or bystanders.
This is completely experimental and something that just came about, I didn't want to shoot it or want someone else to shoot it until I got some feedback for it. when I shot the 3oz with the same powder load everything seemed to do fine, I felt ok with the 3oz load because I heard of and read of others shooting a load like that, but 4+oz is unheard of and I couldn't find anything about it.

·
Registered
562 Posts
I've NEVER seen a load that heavy in 10 gauge. Shotgun is not an area you can experiment in reloading. Talk with the folks at Precision Reloading and see if they have the capabilities of testing the loads. Even your 3 oz. loads are "out there"!

NEVER vary outside of published data for shotgun. It can be deadly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've NEVER seen a load that heavy in 10 gauge. Shotgun is not an area you can experiment in reloading. Talk with the folks at Precision Reloading and see if they have the capabilities of testing the loads. Even your 3 oz. loads are "out there"!

NEVER vary outside of published data for shotgun. It can be deadly.
Thank you for telling me about them, I will reach out to too them and see if they could test it. today I went back to more of a normal load of 2.5 oz with 39gn of powder and that did good at 30-40 yards

·
Registered
141 Posts
I am going to go one more. STOP! Those loads are NOT tested and as such are simply a huge risk to be using. I suggest you either get them properly tested as has been suggested or stick to published loads. To do otherwise is really unsafe!

You can also contact Tom Armbrust for shell testing.

Tom Armbrust,
Ballistic research and testing
1108 W. May Ave, McHenry, IL
60050-8918.
815-385-0037
. http://www.armbrust.acf2.org.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to go one more. STOP! Those loads are NOT tested and as such are simply a huge risk to be using. I suggest you either get them properly tested as has been suggested or stick to published loads. To do otherwise is really unsafe!

You can also contact Tom Armbrust for shell testing.

Tom Armbrust,
Ballistic research and testing
1108 W. May Ave, McHenry, IL
60050-8918.
815-385-0037
. http://www.armbrust.acf2.org.
A standard 12 ga. 2&3/4" #5 hunting load will kill turkeys just fine. You do not need all that power & shot to get the job done. And in many cases these souped up loads end up patterning poorly. My 2 cents worth. David

thank you for all the feedback and help..... those were my turkey loads, I will be making some new posts about my 10 gauge deer loads in the near future

·
Registered
562 Posts
Find some published TSS, Hevi-Shot, or other Tungsten Data. That stuff is deadly out to 70 yards or so. Ballistic Products or Precision Reloading might be able to help with that data.

Good luck. As noted...Quit experimenting with shotgun unless you can verify the data. Any component change from published material needs to be tested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Find some published TSS, Hevi-Shot, or other Tungsten Data. That stuff is deadly out to 70 yards or so. Ballistic Products or Precision Reloading might be able to help with that data.

Good luck. As noted...Quit experimenting with shotgun unless you can verify the data. Any component change from published material needs to be tested.
I've never used tungsten shot or ever heard of it before, do they make it for reloading/could I buy a bag of it or is it just factory loads

1 - 12 of 12 Posts