Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i don't know allot about shotguns. is it better to get the 3inch or the
2 3/4inch shotgun. can a 3inch shotgun shoot both shells? looking to use it for home defence and plinking. not a big hunter.

what is the performance difference?:confused:

you're feedback would be helpful. thanks.:wink:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You can shoot 2 3/4" shells with a 3" chambered gun, which makes the 3" more versatile.
However, you don`t really need 3" shells for HD or plinking, so I`d say you would be O.K. either way.
Regards, Pete

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you tell what your shotgun is chambered for? I have a 11-87 and a 500 bantam. I havent looked at them in a while.
I should be printed somewhere on the barrel of your gun, usually up close ot where the barrel meets the rest of the gun. Mine is chambered for shells up to 3 1/2 inch. 12ga.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For a Home Defense/General Use/Plinking Shotgun...you have absolutely no need for a 3" chambered shotgun. 99%+ of all good home defense/protection loads are for 2 3/4" shells. The 3" Magnum loads become useful if you are hunting turkey, etc. and need the extra shot, etc. That said, the 2 3/4" loads were the standard bearer for decades upon decades of dead game and dead bad guys long before the 3" loads came along. They worked great then and still work great today.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2 3/4 are all you need especially if you are new to shotguns. That said I would go with something like the Mossberg 500 that can take 3" and 2 3/4" so you have the option.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most any of your modern pump action shotguns are going to be chambered for 3" and they will also shoot 2 3/4". Some of them are also chambered in 3 1/2' which will shoot all 3 shell lengths.

I haven't seen any new pump guns in 2 3/4" in a long time.

Some of the modern semi auto's like the Remington 1100 are 2 3/4" guns only. But the 1187 will shoot 2 3/4" or 3" shells.

If you are looking at used guns there are a lot of older 2 3/4" guns out there.

As others have said, for the uses you list a 2 3/4" shell will do everything you need. A 3" gun will give you a bit more versatility.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
my remmy 870 super mag express shoots all three.

2 3/4", 3", and 3 1/2"

lazarus my remmy has the shells sizes stamped/rolled on the side, i bet yours does too.

also to the poster, when you buy one look at the side to be certain.

I bought mine used for $195 so it ws a deal its like a $370 gun or more. I just liked the fact no matter what 12 guage shells i come across i can shoot them.

to he honest though, i have had it a lil over 2 years, and have only bought 3" shells so far.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I say get the 3" It is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

that being said.. I wouldn't shoot more than 2 3/4 buckshot through it. In the house the extra power will only cause more time patching drywall later.

Also, the 2 3/4 isn't as hard on your shoulder.. Yeah, I'm a puss.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
2 3/4" is all you need for self defense. The longer shells are for hunting, more shot for longer ranges and all that. When I bought my Remington 870 I noticed it had a 3" barrel and bought some 3" 00 buckshot shells along with it. I will never make that mistake again.

Ouch.

:shock:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
2 3/4" is all you need for self defense. The longer shells are for hunting, more shot for longer ranges and all that. When I bought my Remington 870 I noticed it had a 3" barrel and bought some 3" 00 buckshot shells along with it. I will never make that mistake again.

Ouch.

:shock:
I made that same mistake but I bought about 20 rounds of 3" Magnum Rifled Slugs

DOUBLE OUCH!!!!

I was sore for about a week!

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Bigger is Better

Go with the 3in cuz you can shoot both 3 and 2 3/4.
If a 2 3/4 round wont drop the target hit'em with the 3in.
If a 3in Magnum wont drop the target...RUN AWAY VERY VERY FAST.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
3 inch mags hurt? wow. i hunt turkey with 3 1/2 mags and make sure i fire a bunch before im out in the field. 3" are a a breeze for me and im 6'1" 22o lbs. u just have to hold it right.

get the 3 incher. more versatile as said above.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
3 inch mags hurt? wow. i hunt turkey with 3 1/2 mags and make sure i fire a bunch before im out in the field. 3" are a a breeze for me and im 6'1" 22o lbs. u just have to hold it right.

get the 3 incher. more versatile as said above.
same here, i am pretty decent sized not allot bigger than you, i am 6'4" 240lbs, but i have been shooting 12 guage 3 inchers at clays probably since i was 13 and weighted about 130-140 lbs at the time.

I plan on getting one of the knoxx spec opps stocks for my 870 super mag express.

I should buy some 3 1/2" shells also, i have had my shotty two years and never felt the need, i mean it just 16% larger in length not sure total volume. It cant be as bad as you guys are making even a 3" sound.

As a skinny skinny kid, i was tall at 13/14 i was about 6" and weighted 130 lbs begining of freshmen year, i shot probably over 100 3" shells at clays. I was not bruised or sore or anything. I was all skin and bones, no fat hardly any muscle (well compared to now)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts