Shotgun Forums banner

3 gun shotty suggestions

4K views 21 replies 1 participant last post by  ShotgunPro 
#1 ·
Looking to get into 3 gun. Any suggestions for a good shotty? Only looking at autos, and needs to be able to mount an Eotech or other sight up top, and possibly even a tac light. Would also like to be able to put in an extended mag tube.

On a budget here, but willing to throw down for a better gun. Under $500 preferred, will spend up to $1000 if you guys really convince. Optimally I'd like to spend $1000 on the whole setup. Will double as a HD gun, so short is good.

Opinions?

#4 ·
I bought the Remington 1100 TAC-4. It is pretty much the "Competition Master" model that they used to offer, setup specifically for the 3-gun "Limited" class, only with black furniture.

But I've also heard great things about the Mossberg 930SPX. And the Mossy is cheaper and shorter (18" vs 22") than the TAC-4 (more comparable to the TAC2).

#9 ·
The Saiga is legal, but it is automatically bumped into the "Open" class in 3-gun. If you plan on using an EOTech in competition you'll be open anyway, though.
I'm not up on the classes yet, but how about using the Eotech on a rifle? Is it a blanket rule where something like an Eotech puts you in that class, no matter the gun?

#11 ·
I'm not up on the classes yet, but how about using the Eotech on a rifle? Is it a blanket rule where something like an Eotech puts you in that class, no matter the gun?
Rifles and shotguns are different. An optic on a shotgun = open, but rifles are allowed ONE optic in some of the the lesser classes. Two optics (say, a scope and a red-dot) bump you into open for rifles.

You should read the rules and understand them before you decide what to buy. The 1100 TAC-4 is basically built to the maximum that the "Limited" class allows, right out of the box. The 930SPX (and the TAC-2) are similar, but you give up capacity with the shorter barrels and mag tubes.

#12 ·
Rifles and shotguns are different. An optic on a shotgun = open, but rifles are allowed ONE optic in some of the the lesser classes. Two optics (say, a scope and a red-dot) bump you into open for rifles.

You should read the rules and understand them before you decide what to buy. The 1100 TAC-4 is basically built to the maximum that the "Limited" class allows, right out of the box. The 930SPX (and the TAC-2) are similar, but you give up capacity with the shorter barrels and mag tubes.
I just looked into what each class allows, but what are the pros/cons of each? WHy not just run open? Is it considerably harder, or what?

#13 ·
If we are talking about USPSA bases 3-Gun/Multi-gun rules then:

If you shoot Open then you will have Shotguns with speed loaders (or magazines in the case of the Saiga) the may also have compensator and/or ported barrels and optics and 10+1 capacity. Rifle will have optics potential multiple optics (Scope and red dot or similar) have larger compensator/muzzle breaks then allowed in Limited and can have a bipod mounted. The handgun will follow USPSA Open Division, comps/ported barrels, optics, 170mm magazines and 9mm or larger allowed for Major.

If your shooting Limited then you cannot have optics on any of the guns. Shotguns cannot be compensated or ported, no optics allowed, no speed loaders or magazine fed shotguns, and capacity is limited to 8+1, With rifles compensator/muzzle breaks are allowed but must be under a certain size (length and diameter are specified), no optics and no bipod or similar rests. The handgun also follows USPSA Limited rules, iron sights only, 140mm magazines, 40cal or larger to make Major.

There is a Tactical division that follows all the rules of Limited except allowing one optical sight on one of your weapons. Most shooters choose their rifle.

There is also allowance for other divisions with the most notable being Heavy Metal that requires a 30cal rifle, Pump 12 shotgun and a 1911 pattern handgun in a major caliber (40cal or greater).

The first three division are usually recognized at most matches. The Heavy Metal division is not always recognized. There are a few other more obscure division occasionally seen.

I started with a Browning BPS Stalker. A pump gun is not as fast as a semi but since the BPS does not have a lifter gate due to its bottom eject configuration I can load the BPS far faster than any other shotgun I have seen. Just flip the gun over grab two shells, drop one shell in the port and then shove them both home with the second

I have since picked up a cheap used Remington 1100 and fixed it up and made a 3-gun shotgun out of it. Runs good and I am slightly faster shooting it but its still slower loading than my BPS.

TOP: Browing BPS 3.5 inch Stalker, 26inch barrel (Inv Plus tubes), homemade magazine extension (9+1), and fiber optic front sight.

BOTTOM: Remington 1100, 26inch (Rem Tubes), Dave's Metal Works magazine extension (10+1), DMW easy loader gate, Choate Combat bolt handle, William's clamp on rib fiber optic rifle sights.

Rambling
mcb

#14 ·
I just looked into what each class allows, but what are the pros/cons of each? WHy not just run open? Is it considerably harder, or what?
They way we run our 3-gun matches, having any of your three guns setup as an "open" gun puts you in that class for the entire match. So if you have an "open" rifle, your shotgun and pistol are scored "open", even if they're not setup as such.

So if you're going to run in "open", you should equip yourself accordingly or you will get spanked. That means electronic sights for pistol and shotgun, speed loaders (or a Saiga w/magazines) for shotgun, etc, etc. "Limited" (or "Tactical") class is more realistic for us normal people.

#15 ·
They way we run our 3-gun matches, having any of your three guns setup as an "open" gun puts you in that class for the entire match. So if you have an "open" rifle, your shotgun and pistol are scored "open", even if they're not setup as such.

So if you're going to run in "open", you should equip yourself accordingly or you will get spanked. That means electronic sights for pistol and shotgun, speed loaders (or a Saiga w/magazines) for shotgun, etc, etc. "Limited" (or "Tactical") class is more realistic for us normal people.
Yes, I say that tactical was the middle ground for the classes. Are all the classes run through the same setups and everything? So basically if you run open, it's the same exact shooting that all the other classes are doing, except you are competing against only those in the same class?

I guess I want to be able to use equipment that I already have, and is easy for me to use, and not be in a class where I'll get pwned every time.

Tactical looks best because there's no way I'm hitting targets at 100 yards with irons.

#16 ·
Yes, I say that tactical was the middle ground for the classes. Are all the classes run through the same setups and everything? So basically if you run open, it's the same exact shooting that all the other classes are doing, except you are competing against only those in the same class?

I guess I want to be able to use equipment that I already have, and is easy for me to use, and not be in a class where I'll get pwned every time.

Tactical looks best because there's no way I'm hitting targets at 100 yards with irons.
Yep. Sames courses of fire for all classes. I shoot tactical myself, for the same reason you mentioned (I have a DMS-1 on my AR).

#17 ·

300 yard US poppers with iron sights is pretty satisfying though. If you have a good rifle you should be able to do 300 yards no problem with a little practice. Its not as hard as it looks.

mcb

#18 ·
300 yard US poppers with iron sights is pretty satisfying though. If you have a good rifle you should be able to do 300 yards no problem with a little practice. Its not as hard as it looks.

mcb
Well, it's not my rifle that's giving me problems, it's my eyes lol. I have horrible vision, and even with glasses have a hard time with irons at long distances (over 25 yards even). I just can't see the target well enough.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.