Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, There are dozens of threads by people looking for recommendations for a 3 gun comp shotgun that is AWESOME but CHEAP and that will win every comp.

I need that. But how about more of an idea type thread rather than a "buy this one" type thread.

Just answer this question and post a pic of your set up if you would.

What did/do you look for when you were shopping for a 3 gun shotgun?
barrel length, capacity, pump, semi auto, rail, bead or ghost.

throw what you were lopok ing for out there and lets see how many folks have different opinions for what is available.
Thanks.

To answer my own question. I want a Benelli M4. Okay, now really. I would say a semi auto with a 22" barrel, 8+1 capacity, no pistol grip, ghost sights. but to be real. I am looking more like a mossy 500 pump. they are cheap, reliable and work. To be honest. I am never going ot get on 3 gun nation. I just wanna shoot for a good time meet some people with similar interests. An M4 would help me achieve all of those goals but put me out 2500 bucks.
What are your needs????????????????????

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What I look for is Reliability/Ruggedness, Aftermarket options, speed, and accuracy.

Skip the M4 get an M2 from Mike at Accurate Irons in Oklahoma. The money you save will pay for most the aftermarket options. He builds them for most the pros.

90% people are running M2s because they work. the inertia system is reliable and has less problems then the gas systems. However the versa max Tactical is coming out of the blocks pretty strong in Daniel Horner's hands. I like the idea of the gas system adjusted by the shells themselves. If you want to get in as cheap as possible Mossberg 930 JM. Its soft shooting and with the ones I played with had no problems.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Also ghost sights will slow you down in competition. A F.O. front will speed you up. If you make the mistake of buying the wrong sight on a Benelli you cant just change them out. You either need a new a new barrel or gun.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I started off using a mossberg 930spx, then when I got addicted I bought a benelli m2 3 gun edition. the benelli is the polar opposite of economical, but if I were you, I were scour the internet looking for a JM pro 930. A guy at the last match had one, and when we had some down time, I did a dummy run thru a stage with it. its really good, and i wish it was out when i bought my benelli because i coulda saved $2k.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
one last thing....it sounds like you are just getting into 3 gun, and until you figure out if you like it or not, dont go buck wild on a shotgun just yet. The M4 is not for 3 gun, in my opinion. I've even shot along side the likes of Todd Jarrett, and no one out there is using an m4. most use the FN shotguns, and a lot use the 930s, then there's the open class crowd with the saiga 12s.

heres my setup:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one last thing....it sounds like you are just getting into 3 gun, and until you figure out if you like it or not, dont go buck wild on a shotgun just yet. The M4 is not for 3 gun, in my opinion. I've even shot along side the likes of Todd Jarrett, and no one out there is using an m4. most use the FN shotguns, and a lot use the 930s, then there's the open class crowd with the saiga 12s.

heres my setup:
I have seen nothing but problems from the saiga crowed which is why I'm excited about that MKA1919 from firebird precision.

I played with the 930 JM a few times problem free and it shoots softer then I expected.

I still like the M2 there is a reason that gun is the most popular but at the same time I really like the new versamax tactical Daniel Horner runs. I'm a sucker for anything he runs though because he is a freak and makes it look easy. Wish the army would pay me to shoot competitively.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

heres my setup:
Where do you live we need to go shoot some time.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
no worries, i've got a lot of toys, and I don't mind sharing. Fyi, if you end up at dam neck for a while, blackwater practical shooters puts on a great 3 gun match the second sunday of every month, and a good uspsa match the 4th sunday. All of em are out at the academi facilities which are top notch (formerly blackwater). I thought I'd never get the opportunity to run a shoothouse until I started shooting with that group. An absolute blast.

Not to mention, C2 shooting center in virginia beach is a fantastic range for every day shooting. been a member for a couple years, and they host a pistol match every other saturday I believe.

If you end up out here, hit me up.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LuckyStrike,
Thanks for posting the pics. Very nice set up. I am assuming you shoot open division?

I am thinking in all reality anything over the Stock 930 SPX is out of my budget. I am starting out. I have shot a few USPSA pistol and IDPA pistol.

My rifle is a M4 Spike/Palmetto/Aero Precission .223 with a 16" and I have a 4.5" Xdm 9mm.

Is there any reason I would need a 22" (or other size) barrel on the shotgun? most of the high cap shotguns have 18.5 barrel. Is it that big of a difference?

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TCS is correct, I shoot tac division. I really have no desire to shoot open. When are you going to be carrying a race pistol with an optic on it in real life anyway. I see no reason to become practiced at it.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
true on the saiga in the ease of reloads, but I find a great satisfaction in seamless reloading a tube gun under pressure. And unless you really put some work into your saiga, or get a pricey custom build, I've seen them malfunction like crazy.

There was one stage a few months ago that was designed by a saiga guy, where we had to crawl under a very low obstacle and shoot from prone on the gravel, at 12 targets from that position, so it forced a very difficult reload. That was the only time I ever cussed my tube fed gun and started thinking about going saiga. I got over it quick. I can outshoot most saiga guys that come out, plus a belt full of shotgun shell speed loaders just looks way cooler than those big clunky mags hanging all over you.

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
true on the saiga in the ease of reloads, but I find a great satisfaction in seamless reloading a tube gun under pressure. And unless you really put some work into your saiga, or get a pricey custom build, I've seen them malfunction like crazy.

There was one stage a few months ago that was designed by a saiga guy, where we had to crawl under a very low obstacle and shoot from prone on the gravel, at 12 targets from that position, so it forced a very difficult reload. That was the only time I ever cussed my tube fed gun and started thinking about going saiga. I got over it quick. I can outshoot most saiga guys that come out, plus a belt full of shotgun shell speed loaders just looks way cooler than those big clunky mags hanging all over you.
Depending on the match, I use both but most times the Saiga and I did all the work myself and have no issues with it... In fact I love it and it would be one I would grab for almost any reason a shotgun is needed..:shock:

·
Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The only reason I want a saiga right now is because it is very possible this november that we end up with a democratic administration, democratic house and senate, and I may not be able to buy one this time next year.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts