Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm dabbling with down sizing my 20 gauge reloads from 7/8 oz to 3/4 oz to conserve shot and a little powder. I've found wad references of CB 1034-20 and CB 1075-20 that list a small difference in chamber pressure; both loads run in the 7K to mid 8K pressure range. I thought I had read somewhere the 1075 was a replacement for the 1034 and related the change was due to better sealing in the Remington STS case, which I have a lot of. I can't find the article that says that. Am I correct or is this just another nit that doesn't matter.

·
975 Posts
I couldn't find the reference either but I do remember that the 1034-20 got its number changed to avoid confusion with the 1034-28 wad which is for 28 gauge.

So yes, it was essentially just a part number change.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I love that 3/4oz 20 gauge load; using Universal, Green Dot and similar I get good burns and great patterns. 533 loads from abag of expensive and hard to find shot isn't too bad either.

·
975 Posts
I'm with you except I use 800X, or at least I will until I run out as they quit making it. Then I'll shift to Unique as I've cornered the world's supply...almost.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got everything I need to run loads and have run some to get the Versamec setup correctly. Managed to screw up a few and will disassemble them to salvage components. I'm not certain how to go about removing the primers. Normally I'm soak the emptied hull in water for a few days then into a local dumpster. With primers in such short supply I'd like to salvage these. Is it as simple as remove all consumables from the press and "GENTLY" deprime? I kinda cringe at the thought but here we are trying to save primers. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I have salvaged primers from bad loads for over 40yrs and have never had a primer fire doing this - nor have I ever heard of anyone having one let go as long as you go gently, as you said. I use an old screwdriver shaft with the blade ground flat, chucked into my drill press, and ease them out.

·
Super Moderator
6,643 Posts
I just deprime those on the press, no big deal and have done so for many years. There are a few hull dismantlers; I bought a really nice handmade walnut one from a guy in Montana - just put it in the hole and turn while applting a little pressue on the blade - the nice thing is that it cuts through behind the shot cup so no spills and everything except the hull is saved

·
975 Posts
As the others above has stated, it's very safe to deprime live shotgun primers. I've done a bunch of them over the 50+ years I've been reloading shotgun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts