Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Not really liking Longshot for my 28 loads. Powder is slowly showing up. Using HS-6 now, will try 572 next. Anyone tried these,likes or dislikes.
I've never used either of the powders you ask about, but I'm curious what you don't like about Longshot for 28 ga. I have recently started using it because it was available and have not noticed any problems.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I use 20/28 for my 28ga loads. I like it, nice clean burning load.
I bought some Longshot as a backup just in case. What don't you like about it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
FWIW I've used Longshot in my 28 gauge SKB 600 for a little over 2 years with no troubles. 14 .5 grains w/ 3/4 oz of 8.5's busts birds as well as anything I've shot and still runs cleaner than most I've used.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi and thanks for letting join. I started out with universal clays. Then on too HS6 i live it so far. I bought Winchester 572 to try out. But the old AA hulls have no load data with 572. I have Longshot also. I went by the Lyman #5 reloading book. So i bought Winchester wsf. There was load data. But i was told not too use it. I will use the wsf in my 20ga.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I just went to Winchester's website and it looks like you're right. No WSF loads for 28 gauge, but there are some for 20 gauge.
WSF is what Winchester uses in 20 gauge AA's.
WST in the Red 12 gauge Super Targets & AA's
WSH in their Black/Gray handicap 12 gauge AA's

haven't figured out what they use in the 28 gauge AA's yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know i got a bunch of 20 ga powder now. I am loading international clays in 20 ga right now. My wife fount 1 bottle of 20/28 today. She got it for me to try in my 28ga 40.00 for a bottle locally. I am loading with HS6. Would it be 572 there using in the AA 28 ammo?

·
Super Moderator
6,932 Posts
Hi and thanks for letting join. I started out with universal clays. Then on too HS6 i live it so far. I bought Winchester 572 to try out. But the old AA hulls have no load data with 572. I have Longshot also. I went by the Lyman #5 reloading book. So i bought Winchester wsf. There was load data. But i was told not too use it. I will use the wsf in my 20ga.
Lyman #5 is now about 15-20 years old. We have had powders come and go since then. Unless you have powder dating from that publication time frame, your best bet is not to use that data. Formulations change, burn rates change so proceed carefully

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Used Longshot for about a year. The loud report and dirty barrels seemed to bother me. (Don't know why I shoot an O/U)Tried HS-6 liked it some better. Now I'm using 572. I like it really well for my 28 loads.Who knows, it might just be me or I've found something I like.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts