Shotgun Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several 12 gauge shotguns, but for various reasons, I think a 20ga belongs in the stable.
What I would like is a relatively inexpensive semi-auto.
There's the Mossberg 930 and Remington 11-87, which I definitely want to fondle, but I've also come across some unfamiliar brands that are less expensive, like Legacy.
Anybody have any input?

Tnx,

·
Registered
51 Posts
My wife is recoil sensitive, and has been using a 20 gauge 870 for years for everything, including ducks and geese. She has never found it lacking, and if it is, please dont tell her that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I suggest sticking with the tried and true brands.I have found that every time I try to save money with the off brands I usually pay for with frustration and aggravation in the field.And that aint no fun.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Totally agree with Jack, buy a name brand you know you can get fixed if something goes haywire. I have a 11-87 that has never let me down( 12 gauge), it mostly sees 3" steel loads for waterfowl. Im spoiled with it now, have 2 870's that were my goto duck hammers. Love this self shucker.

·
Super Moderator
7,451 Posts
look at a used winchester pre 64 model 50 in 20ga. the design sends the kick into the grip, not your shoulder. them old timers are great guns for a 1/3 the cost of new.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I suggest sticking with the tried and true brands.I have found that every time I try to save money with the off brands I usually pay for with frustration and aggravation in the field.And that aint no fun.
Yep. Especially a self shucker. I too have a 11-87 and while I`m more of a pump person, really enjoy the 11-87. Pay a little extra, it is worth it. Mine is a 20 gauge.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would be worth a look.
Winchester: Super X3
Franchi Affinity: 26"bbl / Black Syn / 2.75" & 3" Shells / 20-Gauge

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would recommend Mossberg for several reasons.

The barrel is interchangable.
Mossberg offers Combo pkg, you get a shotgun barrel and a rifled barrel.
The only Manufacturer that offers a 10 year warranty.
Mossbergs are inexpensive.
The best bang for the buck.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would recommend Mossberg for several reasons.

The barrel is interchangable.
Mossberg offers Combo pkg, you get a shotgun barrel and a rifled barrel.
The only Manufacturer that offers a 10 year warranty.
Mossbergs are inexpensive.
The best bang for the buck.

Good luck in your search!
I think you're thinking of the pumps (500, 535, etc.). I'm pretty sure the semi-auto barrels don't swap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would be worth a look.
Winchester: Super X3
Franchi Affinity: 26"bbl / Black Syn / 2.75" & 3" Shells / 20-Gauge
I suppose I should have been clearer - to me "inexpensive" is below $700. (Preferably well below)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm also adding the Weatherby to my list-to-consider. Anybody know who makes the Weatherby?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Seems like I had heard Weatherby and Browning were roomates now but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seems like I had heard Weatherby and Browning were roomates now but I could be wrong.
If you look close, the SA-459
Seems to show up under in several catalogs.
Mossberg International SA-20

Expensive?
Both highly rated.
Winchester SX3 - 800 - Gas piston
Franchi Affinity - 700 - Inertia Driven

I am also looking at the Weatherby's; But there seems to be no support for them. That has me worried.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Shotties can be quite particular as to what loads they like.. find what works for your application and stick with it

1 - 14 of 14 Posts