Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for recommendation's for a 20 gauge shotgun for my son with the following qualities:
  • budget friendly
  • lightweight
  • not an extremely heavy trigger pull
  • can change the stock as he grows

*I had it narrowed down to the Winchester SXP, until I read that the SXP has a very heavy pull weight.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Registered
132 Posts
You neglected to state a preference ,Pump ? OU ? Semiauto ? . IF YOU are willing to change the stock as he grows ,step up the quality of the shotgun ,as it would hardly be worth that expense later ;on a lessor shotgun .
Age of You son would also be useful ?. Semi Autos are Recoil friendly ,which makes a HUGE difference starting out .

·
Registered
15 Posts
My son and daughters have both shot their mother's micro midas browning silver. should be able to buy a second factor stock. very easy on the shoulder with factor loads. even better with 3/4 oz reloads. hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You neglected to state a preference ,Pump ? OU ? Semiauto ? . IF YOU are willing to change the stock as he grows ,step up the quality of the shotgun ,as it would hardly be worth that expense later ;on a lessor shotgun .
Age of You son would also be useful ?. Semi Autos are Recoil friendly ,which makes a HUGE difference starting out .
Hi. Sorry, I left out some of that information. He is 11. I'd prefer pump action. I am willing to change the stock as he grows, as it seems pretty inexpensive. Thanks

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Don't overlook the newly released Beretta A300 Ultima...can be had in 12 or 20 gauge...has many of the features you are looking for in a starter gun for your son...and it is a lot of gun for $750...highly recommended.
Air gun Wood Trigger Gun barrel Bicycle part

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Pumps are not recoil friendly and neither is very lightweight. If this is for hunting where it will be carried a lot and shot a little, the lightweight factor means more. If, however, it is more shooting a lot and walking a little, as in clays or dove, then something on the lines of a Remington 1100 (used) would be a good choice.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Semi Autos are Recoil friendly ,which makes a HUGE difference starting out . However the Man asked for Pump advice .
Nothing mentioned about used units ,that I read anyway . Personally I'd opt for a semi auto used ,especially if it's going to be used hunting because hunting shells AREN'T Target shells . Ask My Buddy who borrowed MY BDL3 and went Duck hunting with 1 5/8 ounce loads ,by the #6 or 7 Th. shot it looked as if he was gonna pass out :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts