Shotgun Forums banner

20 gauge Shotgun recommendation for a Young shooter

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ILOVEGUNS 
#1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for recommendation's for a 20 gauge shotgun for my son with the following qualities:
  • budget friendly
  • lightweight
  • not an extremely heavy trigger pull
  • can change the stock as he grows

*I had it narrowed down to the Winchester SXP, until I read that the SXP has a very heavy pull weight.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

#2 ·
You neglected to state a preference ,Pump ? OU ? Semiauto ? . IF YOU are willing to change the stock as he grows ,step up the quality of the shotgun ,as it would hardly be worth that expense later ;on a lessor shotgun .
Age of You son would also be useful ?. Semi Autos are Recoil friendly ,which makes a HUGE difference starting out .

#5 ·
#7 ·
Pumps are not recoil friendly and neither is very lightweight. If this is for hunting where it will be carried a lot and shot a little, the lightweight factor means more. If, however, it is more shooting a lot and walking a little, as in clays or dove, then something on the lines of a Remington 1100 (used) would be a good choice.

#8 ·
Semi Autos are Recoil friendly ,which makes a HUGE difference starting out . However the Man asked for Pump advice .
Nothing mentioned about used units ,that I read anyway . Personally I'd opt for a semi auto used ,especially if it's going to be used hunting because hunting shells AREN'T Target shells . Ask My Buddy who borrowed MY BDL3 and went Duck hunting with 1 5/8 ounce loads ,by the #6 or 7 Th. shot it looked as if he was gonna pass out :)

#9 ·
I picked up a used CZ 720 ALS a couple of years ago for under 300 comes with an adjustable ATI stock as my grandkids grew they just pushed a button and increased the stock length. I just gave two grand-kids who are now 17 and 18 two other twenty gauges I had for Christmas, one got a nice 1974 Citori in 20 gauge and the other one got a nice Franchi Affinity 3 in 20 gauge. That CZ went to another grandson who really liked the way it fit him stock fully out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.