Shotgun Forums banner
21 - 40 of 64 Posts

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I have had the same 870 for over 15 years now and I'm very happy with it. I have a short barrel (18.5") that lives on it and I have a long barrel I can switch out for hunting.

Recently a friend of mine bought the 500 and he's very happy with it. I used his a little and it was very similar to the 870.

I would say one of the main differences to consider is the safety. It is very different and you might prefer one over the other. My friend really liked the safety on the Mossberg and that's why he went with it.

Both shotguns seem to have plenty of aftermarket support.
Good point on the safety. This will come into play when choosing an aftermarket stock. If you are going to go with a pistol grip type stock like the KNOXX then the 870 IMOP works better because it's on the rear of the trigger guard behind the trigger. So you can have grip when engaging or disengaging the safety. A more traditional stock the tang safety on the 500 works great because it positioned on top of the gun just above where the stock is attached. So that you can maintain grip.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I have used both the 870 and the 500. I own a Maverick 88 with the Knoxx stock.

As others have said it really comes down to the safety location. If you want a pistol grip stock, then get an 870 or a Maverick 88. They both have a cross-bolt safety.

With a regular stock, I prefer the Mossberg safety location, but try them out before you buy.

If price is important, the Maverick and an extra 18.5 barrel will be about the same or less than either of the others with one barrel. It is not pretty but it works just fine.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
what features do you want in the shotgun?
Both are good guns and will serve you well for a long time.
The mossberg had the advantage of an ambidextrous tang safety.
this is a disadvantage if you go with a PG stock.
The Remy has the advantage of an easier magazine extention.
With the 18" barrel, you only get maybe 2 more shots (migratory birds are limited to 3 anyway)

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Shot guns of all types (other than a shotgun) for more than 30 years and its time to add a scatter gun to my collection.

Looking for HD and the occasional wild boar, may have to hike hard and long to find one so weight may be an issue.

Hear nothing but good things about about both the 500 and the 870.

What did you choose and why? Was it a good decision and would you do it differently?
I prefer the 870. I have had some bad luck with the few Mossberg shotguns I owned. The 870 has never let me down.
Pat

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
870 man here too...i have never owned a Mossberg, but i know in the past the pumps were loose and rattled. That just seemed cheap to me, so i went Remy. I dont know if thats still how they are built, but every Mossberg pump i see is like that. As for barrel length i bought mine originally for turkey hunting with a 24" barrel. Thats a good compromise barrel if you are going to do any hunting and it is still short enough to double for HD. Mine stays in my bedroom with 00 buck and a box of slugs in my nightstand. If strictly for HD you cant go wrong with the 18.5.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
With hunting a low priority, I was leaning toward the 500.

Doing more research I see more trade offs between choosing 1 and the majority of the responses lean toward the 870.

Safety and quality are big issues along with capacity (thus the XDs) and the idea of a rattle gives me the hebie jebies.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I think its a personal preference. I didn't like the location of the slide release on the Mossberg; the location on the 870 felt more natural to me. I recommend handling them both and seeing which you like better.

Here's some talking points about the differences between the two models: http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html

Either way, you can't go wrong.

I'm a fan of simplicity in shotties, so I don't have many aftermarket parts (a sling and a wrap for extra shells). But if you want to pimp out your shotty, I think more options are available for the Remmy.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·

Doing more research I see more trade offs between choosing 1 and the majority of the responses lean toward the 870.

Safety and quality are big issues along with capacity (thus the XDs) and the idea of a rattle gives me the hebie jebies.
As someone who owns both...get either one. They're both great shotguns, they're both very safe (never had either one decide to fire itself), and they'll both work just fine in the HD capacity.

The rattle is a non-issue (My chopped 870 Wingmaster--or Zom-B-Master, as I call it--rattles as well...it's just slightly loose tolerances, nothing to worry about). No heebie-jeebies necessary.;)

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
The rattle is a non-issue (My chopped 870 Wingmaster--or Zom-B-Master, as I call it--rattles as well...it's just slightly loose tolerances, nothing to worry about). No heebie-jeebies necessary.;)
Im not saying that the rattle is an issue with reliability or functionality...im saying that they rattle. And every Mossberg i have ever handled rattles more than any of the 4 870's i have owned (still have 2 870 Express in both 12 and 20). That is based on personal experience. I am not bashing a Mossberg in any way, and they will go bang everytime they should, and i dont bash on 500 owners either. I believe they just have looser tolerances in that area than Remington has. But thats not necessarily bad either...case in point AK-47!

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·

The AK rattles like bejeebus, but still works.

· Registered
12,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Doesn't a rattle give away your position? Be it 4 legged in the woods or 2 legged in my castle - I don't want to ever give away my position.

You guys are scaring the crap out of me with the after market mods. This can be as dangerous to my bank account as boating!

While a pistol grip looks like a great idea for HD and swinging around in tight quarters it doesn't look like that's the way to take out a wild boar.

There is a gun and knife show in town tomorrow, so it looks like I am going to put a fingerprints on some long guns.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.