Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a Marlin Model 90 from my grandfather after he passed. I know nothing about this gun. Is it fairly uncommon, is it reliable? Some other questions I have are:

1. I would like to re-blue the receiver, but I have seen many guns with malleable iron that have been re-blued turn plum color. IMO it looks terrible. Is there a correct way to re-blue malleable iron to the original color?

2. The barrels have many scratches and it also looks like it has been touched up, or someone stained the stock and forearm without removing them and in their laziness they got stain on the barrels. :confused:

3. The gun seems to function although I have not fired it yet. I will probably keep the gun but would the value increase if I had these things done or just leave it as is?

4. I would like to redo the wood on the gun and was wondering how you properly sand/remove the previous stain, especially where the wood is checkered?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know nothing about the gun, but, if it were me, I would leave it like it is. All those marks have a story behind then. Once you refinish the SG those years that it took to look the way it does is gone. That is just my opinion. Good luck in what ever you choose. Great looking SG by the way

1 - 2 of 2 Posts