Shotgun Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, guyz, from a forum newbie in Florida...

My wife's 91 y/o father gave her his Mossberg 410 model 183D bolt action. I'm having some problems finding info on-line (anything to acquaint us), primarily lubrication info. I'm sure the thing hasn't seen a cleaning let alone a shell for at least 30-40 years.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Doesn't seem to be the busiest forum ever, does it?

I don't know anything about the specific gun, but what I'd do it (1) take the barreled action out of the stock. (2) give it a good flushing with gunscrubber, (3) put a few drops of oil here and there and let it work it's way in. A couple of drops on the bolt, a drop on the firing pin and so on. Give it a wipedown with an oily rag.

Does it have a magazine? Box or tube?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry for taking so long to see this but I had almost given up hope of a response! LOL!

2 in the magazine, 1 in the chamber. You open the bolt and push 3 shells in one on top of the other.

I cleaned and lubed the gun this past weekend, pretty much as you described.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Good deal. These things aren't complicated. They're just machines, that's all. The only reason I asked about the magazine was you don't want to forget to clean it too. Just wipe the dirt, feathers, seeds, and crap out and wipe it lightly with an oily rag. I forgot to add run a patch through the bore from time to time too.

Have fun with it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. Since I had no idea what my father in-law did to the gun and the fact that it looked a bit... "abused", I ran a brush and patches thru the bore with Hoppes #9 and followed up with a light coat of Hoppes oil as well as hitting the action and firing pin with Gun Scrubber and then a drop of oil here and there.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Wow. Sorry, Rick, but I have not checked in here lately.:(
I am a bolt action shotgun fan and have two Mossbergs - one is a 183KE .410 with C-Lect choke, which is the same basic gun as yours except for the choke system.
The 183D series starts with the 183D made 1947-1948 and runs through the 183D-G made in 1968-1971.
I'm suprised you are able to get three rounds in the magazine, it was designed to hold two, and that's all I am able to get in mine.
There is one website I highly recommend, it has specs for most models of Mossberg 22 rifles and shotguns and a message board Mossberg 22 LR Firearms Information Unofficial Small-bore Page Damguy
Parts are available through Havlins who also runs NATIONAL MOSSBERG COLLECTORS ASSOCIATION
There is a forum similar to this but geared to Mossbergs only, I am a member there as well MossbergOwners.com ? Index page

I also have a Mossberg 85d, 20 ga, 2 round detachable magazine, bolt action made 1941-1942.
And a Harrington & Richardson Model 120, 16 ga, tube magazine, bolt action made 1940.

My local gunshop has a 12 ga bolt action Mossberg that is singing to me. I just may have to put it on layaway.:D

I would advise against any kind of refinishing and just keep Dad's shotgun cleaned and oiled. The old Mossbergs have a cult following of collectors.:)

I hope this helps. And go out and fire the old girl once in a while. It just may put a big smile on your face!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts