Adding weight - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Adding weight

This is a discussion on Adding weight within the Yildiz Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; I added a 3/4" dia. steel rod to the butt stock of my 20ga O/U and that really helps with the felt recoil and with ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Yildiz Shotgun Forum

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2014, 07:04 AM   #1

Member #1729
Added Weight & Re-balanced the Yildiz O/U

I added a 3/4" dia. steel rod to the butt stock of my 20ga O/U and that really helps with the felt recoil and with no rattles, but it made the gun muzzle light (a lot). So I ordered an 8oz Briley barrel weight, after weighing the amount needed to re-balance the gun. When I install it, I'll report back with the results. The gun should be 7.5lbs balanced when done...starting from a balanced 5.7 lbs beginning.

Detail on the steel rod insertion:

Cut to length, allowing for rubber bumpers glued onto the ends, wrapped in electrical tape to stop any rolling from side to side. Nice close fit...no rattles, goes in and out as one unit.

Last edited by DragonNester; 09-26-2014 at 10:02 AM. Reason: More details
DragonNester is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-04-2014, 10:07 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #148
i fill old hulls with lead and adjust ea accordingly.
Certified NRA Shotgun Instructor
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 10:52 AM   #3

Member #1729
Obviously, you reload...

I would, but...well, we'll save it for another discussion.

The steel rod gave me maximum fill of the void space in the stock, both diameter and length wise...which gave me maximum weight. I got an increase of 1.25 lbs and with the addition of an 8 oz barrel weight I should have a 7.5 lb gun well balanced gun. We'll see.

Last edited by DragonNester; 08-04-2014 at 07:45 PM.

Old 08-06-2014, 04:26 PM   #4

Member #1729
I got the Briley 8 oz barrel weight on the barrel now and the gun feels awesome and is balanced at about .385" behind the hinge pin. It topped out at 7.5 lbs as expected. Honestly, it feels very much like my Beretta SP1, now. Total weight added was 1.75 lbs. Can't wait to go shoot.

Oh yeah, the Briley barrel weight is, as all their products, a first class item and looks like it belongs on the gun.

Last edited by DragonNester; 08-11-2014 at 07:42 AM.
Old 08-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Lead plumber's tape will work both under the barrel and in the butt stock to add weight on both ends and keeps some semblance of balance
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 06:38 AM   #6

Member #1729
Lead tape under the barrel: Too much weight (1/2 lb) to hide in the forearm or stick to the barrel...a clamp-on barrel weight is more suited for that much weight. Lead tape in the butt stock: not as well suited as a full length steel rod in the stock for maximum added weight...IMO

I got exactly what I wanted and the gun is sweet, now. Honestly, I was just letting the Yildiz O/U folks know my method of doing it since Yildiz O/Us are ultra light O/Us, known for their recoil and I actually own one.

Last edited by DragonNester; 08-12-2014 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-08-2014, 03:23 PM   #7

Member #1732
I see a lot of older guns that have rolls or partial rolls of coins in the butt stock. I have used the lead tape that you use to balance tennis racquets in the fore stock.
CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Certified Level II Instructor since 1998
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School
SnapCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

Member #1729
One more note, I'm sure this method would work just as effectively on the Yildiz 12ga O/U...(notorious for recoil).

A well balanced gun at a good weight is a joy to shoot. I did add a white front bead, extended chokes and a Limbsaver pad...just to give it that clay shooter look and more LOP...why not, it's a $399 gun NIB. Best in class IMO.

Last edited by DragonNester; 08-12-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #9

Member #1248
DN, glad the weights worked for you, its nice to hear and see your solutions. I am willing to bet you will bag a few more birds with the new setup.
DragonNester likes this.
LoFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 01:29 PM   #10

Member #1729
Originally Posted by LoFlyer View Post
DN, glad the weights worked for you, its nice to hear and see your solutions. I am willing to bet you will bag a few more birds with the new setup.
Thanks...I appreciate your comment and words of encouragement. The gun turned out great...even my wife thinks so! I bought it for her. She shot it today...she said she likes it much better, now! She shot better, also.

She's back in the game...YEA!

The End

Last edited by DragonNester; 08-11-2014 at 04:05 PM.

Search tags for this page
add weight to shotgun
add weight to shotgun stock
adding weight to a shotgun stock
adding weight to shotgun

adding weight to shotgun stock

friction tape on shotgun
how to add weight to a shotgun
lead tape for shotguns
Click on a term to search for related topics.