1897 Foregrip - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

1897 Foregrip

This is a discussion on 1897 Foregrip within the Winchester Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; My 1897 has a foregrip like the gun in the middle, It is fairly large in diameter, I am wanting to change it to a ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Winchester Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

Member #18380
1897 Foregrip

My 1897 has a foregrip like the gun in the middle, It is fairly large in diameter, I am wanting to change it to a "corncobb" type like the gun on the bottom. It appears to be a straight swap by unscrewing the end piece and swapping them out, is that correct?

The top and bottom foregrips are commonly referred to as "corncobb" types is there a name for the one in the middle?

Most of the 1897 guns I see have the corncobb style foregrip was the other type a special order, different model or an aftermarket? Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tommy

TomN is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 11-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #2

Member #17580
M97 came with several options 26 28 30 and 32 " barrels with cylinder bore - full choke option . Stocks were smooth or checkered ( extra $'s ) as for the forearm foregrip ringed was most popular but civilian options allowed for smooth foregrip . M97 was the original Trench Gun, it is rugged functional as well as dependable .
Not certain where one finds an original forgrip now days ?. I'd make My own but I'm sure You can search around and more than likely find one .
OU12/20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #3

Member #18380
Winchester Foregrips

Thanks OU12/20. I have a lead on one and I hope it pans out. I'm surprised at the amount of parts available for the Model 97, with the exception of the barrel extension, they seem to be scarce.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:15 AM   #4

Member #430
Numrich GPC markets replacement barrel extensions, as well as riot gun barrels.

Parts on eBay.

I think that the 97 forend tube or action slide is the same but the early guns had the one used on the 93 that had 3 screws that held the forearm onto the action slide.
kenhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:31 PM   #5

Member #18380
Winchester Foregrips

kenhwen, I think you are correct about the slides and that can be seen in the pic at the top of this thread.

I am currently watching some parts on Ebay but the price is going up fast.

Thanks for the comments