Winchester 120 Deer Slug Barrel Question - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Winchester 120 Deer Slug Barrel Question

This is a discussion on Winchester 120 Deer Slug Barrel Question within the Winchester Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Does anyone know advantage or accuracy improvement of these over the 28 vent ribbed with an IC for rifles slugs? The deer slug barrel is ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Winchester Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2020, 02:55 PM   #1

Member #16092

Does anyone know advantage or accuracy improvement of these over the 28 vent ribbed with an IC for rifles slugs?

The deer slug barrel is 24 with no choke system and its not listed on the barrel. Just wondering if its worth buying?

Im fairly accurate up to 50 yards with the 28 IC set up. I just didnt know if there is something Im missing other than the rifles sights the smooth bore slug barrel has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 05-20-2020, 09:41 PM   #2

Member #16968
I've always thought of sights as a pretty important part.

I hunted for 20 or 30 years with all types of deer slugs and slug barrels for shot guns.
Old 05-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #3

Member #16092

Originally Posted by Jack Ryan View Post
I've always thought of sights as a pretty important part.

I hunted for 20 or 30 years with all types of deer slugs and slug barrels for shot guns.

Agree. I installed sights on my 28 barrel that came stock with just a bead.

I was more curious as to the 24 slug barrels choke and its benefits, if any, over the barrel I have with an IC.

Just cant find any info on the 24 slug barrel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2020, 07:56 AM   #4

Member #17104
I am new and don't know much.

However, one would think that a longer barrel would be more accurate than a shorter one.

I'm sure that you will get more informed answers soon.
richg99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:55 AM   #5

Member #16968
A smooth bore slug barrel is no different inside than any other improved cylinder shot gun barrel of the same length.

The longer the barrel, the longer your sight radius, just like any other gun barrel. I doubt you will shoot enough slugs through it in a life time to notice a difference between a 24 inch barrel and the same barrel 20 inches, when shooting slugs through them both.

It is the adjustable rifle style sites attached directly to the barrel that makes a slug barrel a better choice for shooting slugs. Yet I've seen receiver scope mounts be perfectly satisfactory, AND I've seen a lot of wounded deer run on over the hill due to shooting slugs from from guns sworn to be "just as good", "very accurate", "never shoot very far".

I'm not sure what you've got but I think if it is something like this link, it would probably be pretty sweet. For Foster slugs use a modified to what ever MORE open choke you've got to shoot slugs. If you want to max out the accuracy for longer shots with a barrel like this one in the link, the replace the choke with a rifled choke and use sabot slugs.
https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page...rod/u128100009

Like anything else it often pays good dividends to try a few different brands but from what I've shot, mostly from Remington guns, I'd try some Winchesters first.

From my own testing, I would NOT shoot slugs through a full choke or tighter barrel. It will soon be a modified choke in short order.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 05-21-2020 at 09:07 AM.
Jack Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote