SX3 20 gauge failure to feed - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

SX3 20 gauge failure to feed

This is a discussion on SX3 20 gauge failure to feed within the Winchester Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; My new to me SX3 20 gauge field fails to feed about 1 in 15-20 shells. The failure presents as follows. Shotgun is fired, shell ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Winchester Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2019, 10:50 PM   #1

Member #16310
SX3 20 gauge failure to feed

My new to me SX3 20 gauge field fails to feed about 1 in 15-20 shells.

The failure presents as follows.
Shotgun is fired, shell is extracted and ejected clear.

New shell is lifted from tube but then the front corner of the new shell gets hung up on the thin edge of the chamber (where the extractor cut out is located).

The action necessary is to pull the action open slightly and push the front of the shell slightly in.

When this happens to a shell it presses a crescent shaped imprint into the folded over section of the shell.

Upon inspection of empty shells that did cycle correctly it is possible to see where the edge of the chamber hit the shell but it did not get hung up.

Is there something I can do to keep this from happening.

I own a 12 gauge FN SLP and a 12 gauge SX3 ultimate Sport. I do not have these problems with either of these shotguns.

The feeding trouble occurs when the shotgun has been cleaned. It happens when it is dirty.

It happens with Wally World Federal and Winchester shot shells as well as high brass shot shells. All the shells are 2 3/4" long.

Can I make this shot gun run more reliable?

Last edited by Gokyo; 07-08-2019 at 10:57 PM.
Gokyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Welcome from Florida!
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Does this happen with a variety of ammo or only one type? have you tried others? Sometimes shell lengths are not consistent and might result in feeding issues.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote