Scored barrel - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Scored barrel

This is a discussion on Scored barrel within the Winchester Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; I recently picked up a used Winchester 1200 Skeet grade in excellent condition with a WS-1 barrel for a very good price. It has score ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Winchester Shotgun Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2019, 12:34 PM   #1

Member #6025
Scored barrel

I recently picked up a used Winchester 1200 Skeet grade in excellent condition with a WS-1 barrel for a very good price. It has score lines that appear to be a few .001" deep the full circumference of the barrel for about 5-7 inches ahead of the chamber. I thought it was just plastic wad material and I would be able to remove it with a tornado brush and some Hoppe's. 5-6 minutes spinning the tornado / Hoppe's with a drill made no difference. I thot OK, maybe old and "baked" in so I heated the area in question with a propane torch for about a minute, back in with the tornado. All to no avail. I used a flat blade screwdriver to see if I could scrape a line in "the plastic". No effect. I can only conclude the marks really are scratches. I'm under the impression mid 60's chrome plated barrels were mostly resistant to such damage. Can steel shot do this and if so, what can be done to remove the scoring? Finally, is this really an issue that should be resolved or just ignore it and go shoot snot out of it?
Remove Ads
Old 03-02-2019, 03:08 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
PUT THE PROPANE TORCH DOWN! If, for some ungodly reason you feel the need to use heat, use a hair dryer.

Spray the barrel with a good solvent and let it soak for a bit and try the drill/brush again, except with one bore size larger.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:06 PM   #3

Member #4993
Also, I have seen marks as you speak of created by kitchen gunsmiths as they ream, or try, to ream out the barrel to lengthen chambers and/or forcing cones.

"the loudest sound in the world is a click when you expect a bang, or a bang when you expect a click"

Old 03-02-2019, 10:13 PM   #4

Member #6025
Yes, I understand the down side of a propane torch. I said a minute but it was less than that. I just wanted to see whether it really was plastic wad material. These marks are longitutinal in nature and not circular so I don't think it was done by something like a reamer. I guess the bottom line is whether it makes any difference to the patterning. I'm guessing not as the shot should still be in the wad cup as it travels down the barrel toward the muzzle. Shure does look like hell, tho.
Old 03-03-2019, 06:13 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
I had marks similar to yours (from your description) and I thought the reclaimed lead might have had rocks or sand and did damage. It just took a good soaking and a brush (several times) and it went away
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #6

Member #15516
Possibly steel shot?
jwsmith1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #7

Member #6025
Well, we have a mystery. I soaked the barrel for 3 days with Hoppe's and ran a tornado brush on a drill for about 3 minutes with no appreciable difference. I also ran down the guy I bought it from and got the back story. He bought it in 1974 at the Houston gun show and didn't notice the barrel issue at that time. He shot 5-6 rounds of skeet, never cleaned it and the gun got shuffled to the back of the closet until his wife said it was time to move and downsize a few months ago. He says he never ran steel shot thru it, I haven't either so it must have been done before he bought it tho I can't imagine why anybody would run steel shot in a skeet gun.

In any event it ain't coming out so it'll have to live like it is. I'm guessing it doesn't affect the pattern as it's only the first 6-8 inches out from the chamber. I'll get around to patterning it to see if there's anything unusual and post what I find.

Thx to all who commented.
Old 03-14-2019, 04:38 PM   #8

Member #4306
im a skeet shooter this happened to me using feocchi 28 gage they dont use a wad just a little cup behind the shot and it lead fouls the barrel i used a cleaning rod to get it out it wasnt easy,ill never use feochi again
vicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #148
wanna bet the previous owner shot reclaim shot in the gun and rocks got mixed in the lead?
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 06:43 PM   #10
RKB

Member #2031
^^^That happens a lot when shot is mined from sandy soil.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote