101 opening issue - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

101 opening issue

This is a discussion on 101 opening issue within the Winchester Shotgun Forum forums, part of the Shotgun Forums by Model category; Seems my new to me 101 is difficult to open after firing 2 shots. Works fine after 1 round. Today I had 2 instances where ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Forums by Model > Winchester Shotgun Forum

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By buck45
  • 1 Post By buck45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #1

Member #6025
101 opening issue

Seems my new to me 101 is difficult to open after firing 2 shots. Works fine after 1 round. Today I had 2 instances where it refused to fire until I nudged the latch lever a bit more to the left. I'm going to take the wood off the receiver and hose it down with brake cleaner and re lube w/ CLP and a bit of grease where appropriate. Is there anything I should be aware of before doing all this?
Thx,
Crash likes this.
Remove Ads
Old 04-20-2018, 01:16 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
You might want to pull the stock and see if there are burrs or rough machine marks giving you issues.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 05:07 PM   #3

Member #6025

I gave it a good visual when I got it apart but nothing jumped out as out of place or questionable condition like scrapes or metal particles. I couldn't see any clumps of "stuff" so I took it to my local gunsmith and demonstrated the issue(s). He agreed there was likely a crud buildup way down in the innards and would run it through his sonic cleaner and run it through it's paces. I felt that was a better solution than me hosing it off in the driveway. I'll post the outcome.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:25 AM   #4

Member #6025
101 opening

Gunsmith said he had to run it thru the sonic cleaner twice and crank up his air compressor to force out a chunk of hardened something. Couldn't tell what it was but also found a "scuffed" place he dressed down with a stone and now it works like factory advertised. Called it a challenge. Thx to all who read the post.
Old 06-11-2018, 07:46 AM   #5

Member #6025
Problem solved

Final solution. I had swapped butt stock wood between an old friend 101 Trap I shoot very well (23+) and the new to me skeet 101. Turns out the wood is not identical and interchangeable. Swapped them back and everything works as factory advertised.

Nothing to see here ..... move along.
RKB likes this.
Old 06-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #6

Member #15748
I shoot a 101 for trap. Some shells seem to affect both opening and ejection. Normally I shoot whatever is cheapest so I shoot a very wide variety of cheap shells. One of the Winchester varieties gives me regular problems with opening the action and ejection, while one of the other varieties works fine.

This gave me fits before I figured this out.

National Rifle Association
2nd Amendment Foundation
Illinois State Rifle Association
Guns Save Lives
SASS
Cowboy Mounted Shooting Association
retired LEOSA firearms instructor
ChanceMcCall is offline   Reply With Quote