Browning Extended Chokes - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Browning Extended Chokes

This is a discussion on Browning Extended Chokes within the Trap Shooting forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I'm considering the purchase of Browning extended choke tubes to protect the barrel on my Browning BT-99 as I have accidentally scuffed the barrel with ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Trap Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2020, 10:36 PM   #1

Member #14089
Browning Extended Chokes

I'm considering the purchase of Browning extended choke tubes to protect the barrel on my Browning BT-99 as I have accidentally scuffed the barrel with the stock flush choke tube. Browning makes three grades of extended choke tubes, Invector Plus Extended, Midas Grade Extended and Diana Grade Extended (listed in increasing price order). Apparently, the higher the price, the more precise the choke tube is. Is there any reason a 1500 round trap per year shooter should spend the additional amount on the Midas grade over the base choke tube Invector Plus Extended choke tube? I don't think I shoot well enough or often enough to justify the cost of the Diana Grade choke tube.
Remove Ads
Old 11-22-2020, 08:05 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
No, buy the one that fits your gun - it is a hollow tube; nothing fancy about it.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:08 PM   #3

Member #15938
You could also consider another brand. I have quite a few choke tubes from Carlson's - they pattern just fine and break targets as well as the Browning choke tubes for my BT-99.

Carlson's Invector Plus extended choke tubes are under $40 delivered on Amazon.
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old Yesterday, 08:24 PM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
I really like George Trulock's; nice guy, will work with you to exchange if you change your mind; excellent service and very fair pricing.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 PM   #5

Member #8874
For what it’s worth , I’ve had several people with much better knowledge than me, tell me that the Browning chokes tend to pattern poorly.. something about all of them being larger in diameter and hence a wider less dense pattern . Mine are the inventor DS chokes .

For skeet, they work fine for me. But I do notice a big difference in trap . Breaks are very weak with anything but a full choke. However, Brownings full chokes are VERY tight.

I might notice it more because the shoot very light loads, 7/8 or 3/4 oz.

I ended up getting Mullers . I don’t honestly know if they are worth the money . But I’ve had good experience with them .

I’m looking for a couple more, I like the sounds of the tru lock mentioned above . I’ve read they are a good choke that don’t braeak the bank .

Jeff
BadaBoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:23 PM   #6

Member #14089
Originally Posted by pbansen View Post
You could also consider another brand. I have quite a few choke tubes from Carlson's - they pattern just fine and break targets as well as the Browning choke tubes for my BT-99.
Carlson's Invector Plus extended choke tubes are under $40 delivered on Amazon.
I bought a new Browning Extended Imp Mod on ebay for $40 and a used Full for $20.
Originally Posted by BadaBoom View Post
For what its worth, Ive had several people with much better knowledge than me, tell me that the Browning chokes tend to pattern poorly, something about all of them being larger in diameter and hence a wider less dense pattern . Mine are the inventor DS chokes.
I have also heard that Browning chokes are larger in diameter than other brands, however I still went with Browning. I think I will bring my calibers to the range one day and check various brand choke tubes. I wonder if that is true or just unverified claims.