Decelerator Trap Recoil Pad - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Decelerator Trap Recoil Pad

This is a discussion on Decelerator Trap Recoil Pad within the Trap Shooting forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; What is the purpose of a decelerator trap recoil pad? From the title it would appear to lessen the recoil. Is it also to adjust ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Trap Shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Member #14089
Decelerator Trap Recoil Pad

What is the purpose of a decelerator trap recoil pad? From the title it would appear to lessen the recoil. Is it also to adjust the shotgun's length and angle?
Remove Ads
Old 06-23-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
RKB

Member #2031
The only thing that will reduce actual recoil is to shoot slower velocity or reduce the shot charge. However, a lot of devices like this will attenuate the recoil impulse over a longer time period, which can reduce the 'felt recoil'.
That set-up can adjust both LOP and overall fit.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 09:07 PM   #3

Member #14089
Originally Posted by RKB View Post
The only thing that will reduce actual recoil is to shoot slower velocity or reduce the shot charge. However, a lot of devices like this will attenuate the recoil impulse over a longer time period, which can reduce the 'felt recoil'.
Then since I am not troubled by recoil from my 12 ga Browning Citori 725, there would be no reason to spend the money for the decelerator trap recoil pad. Thank you.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #4
RKB

Member #2031
True. If recoil is not a factor, IMO all the movement of one of these devices could distract you and cost you targets.
RKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 08:49 PM   #5

Member #14089
I called Browning to discuss. Customer Service was extremely helpful. I asked if the Decelerator Pad was only to decrease recoil. The representative said it was also to position the stock to the shooter. I told him the two O/U's I was looking at; Citori 725 Trap Max https://www.browning.com/products/fi...-trap-max.html and a Citori 725 Pro Trap w/Pro Fit Adjustable Comb https://www.browning.com/products/fi...able-comb.html. The price difference is approx. $1750. He told me along with a better wood grade (not important to me) the rib is adjustable (could prove helpful) and the Decelerator Pad can better fit each individual (possible advantage). On Friday the wife and I will drive from Cheyenne to Omaha (500 miles) to Guns Unlimited. I am told they are the best place to buy a shotgun between the Mississippi River and the Rocky Mountains. I will see what is available and whether the $1750 is worth it for the Citori 725 Trap Max (which is a 2019 SHOT Show Special). Hopefully, the salesman at Guns Unlimited isn't on commission.
Old 07-07-2019, 07:37 PM   #6

Member #14089
We did drive to Omaha and I bought the Citori 725 Trap Max. Everything is adjustable; comb, rib, recoil reduction. Beautiful shotgun!