Which Choke, if Any? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Which Choke, if Any?

This is a discussion on Which Choke, if Any? within the Trap Shooting forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; I have an unsingle on order and it comes with only a Full choke. O/U's come with a few chokes and usually a Full is ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Trap Shooting

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #1

Member #14089
Question Which Choke, if Any?

I have an unsingle on order and it comes with only a Full choke. O/U's come with a few chokes and usually a Full is supplied on the over barrel and an Improved Modified on the under barrel. If a second choke was purchased would an IM be the one to buy or perhaps a Modified would be a better choice? Your thoughts please.
Remove Ads
Old 07-03-2018, 05:52 PM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
For trap? Personally, a M would be great for 16 yard and use the F for handicap
Aldo, SanRemo and Jack Ryan like this.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #3

Member #14089
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

I'm working on it. Between arthritis and other aches and pains, I'm right on track.

Old 07-04-2018, 08:24 AM   #4

Member #14944
Some of the old school over and under came with Full choke on top and Mod on the bottom, but they were hunting guns. I think there is more than one kind of trap shooting. The kind trap I've played was mostly a full choke type of thing. The place only wanted me to put one shell in the gun anyway, so one full choke would do the job. But you would want some kind of choke in the other barrel if nothing more than to protect the threads
under40yards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:03 PM   #5

Member #14924
I would get a IM and pattern it with your load about 25 to 28 thousands depending on brand. I put one in my BT 99 20 years ago worked so well I never changed it . Only take it out to clean and grease the threads other wise over time they will stick in the barrel. The big boys get their barrels worked on for best coverage with their shells and they are usually wonderful patterns with even spread through out. IM is great for even distrabution full can have a hot core and that can limit breaks but it is very impressive when you center them.
Jack Ryan likes this.
Dead Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #6

Member #17054
Perhaps, buy a o/u(32") with multiple, removeable chokes(M-XF) and play around with the combination that works best for you on singles.
gasqueb@hotmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 03:32 PM   #7

Member #5570
If you shoot fast like I do, even an IC choke can work very well on singles.
oneounceload and Jack Ryan like this.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 08:16 PM   #8

Member #16968
I've always just used full choke on the trap range from one end to the other.

Any more I shoot more at home in the yard than any where else and last summer I made a trip to a skeet range with a great group and found I like it. Where before I just set up the trap at home and broke 'em, sometimes making a little like playing "HORSE" depending who else was here.

Since last summer I cut the trip cord for the trap and spliced in connections for an extension cord and I've been setting up to mimic a lot of skeet range shots and more sporting clays type shots.

I'll often spend some time starting with a skeet tube and standing next to the trap and take a step or two back every time I break one until I miss a couple in a row, then put in the next tighter choke and start from there. Usually the tighter choke, with the same shot load, only gives me one or two more steps back AT MOST.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #9

Member #5570
Two steps back for one increment of choke change?

Something wrong there.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #10

Member #16526
Pattern it.

I put carlson's extended modified in my citori and they actually patterned tighter than the factory full, along with being more uniform.
Jack Ryan likes this.
southdakbearfan is offline   Reply With Quote