New HD shotgun. Confused re Sling or no Sling - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

New HD shotgun. Confused re Sling or no Sling

This is a discussion on New HD shotgun. Confused re Sling or no Sling within the Tactical Shotgun Talk forums, part of the Tactical Shotgun Forum category; Hi, New to forum and HD sg's. Just got a tactical Mossberg 500. Setting it up with a side-saddle, Magpul forend with Inforce light, Ghost ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Tactical Shotgun Forum > Tactical Shotgun Talk

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2020, 10:13 AM   #1

Member #17032
New HD shotgun. Confused re Sling or no Sling

Hi,
New to forum and HD sg's. Just got a tactical Mossberg 500. Setting it up with a side-saddle, Magpul forend with Inforce light, Ghost rear sight is OEM, swapping into a Tritium front sight after I dial in with OEM front to figure out right front height for me and chosen ammo at HD ranges. Can't wait to practice at a range soon with a variety of drills I've learned about.

My questions are, (for home defense):

1. I've read different opinions on SLING or NOT sling (tho 2-pt seems a consensus for pro-sling'ers). Rationale?
Assume I will indeed practice.
1a. if sling yes - 1-pt sling? or a quick-adjustable Magpul 2-pt sling. Why?

2. With a Magpul MOE forend, add a vertical pistol grip or no? under stress seems would lessen chance of a short-stroke AND much stronger push-pull technique with a handle to PUSH against... yes? not needed?

Advice from HD sg experts here? Any HD sg instructors opinions especially.

Last edited by Quattroluvr; 01-29-2020 at 12:41 PM.
Quattroluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-29-2020, 11:41 AM   #2

Member #2136
This is how ive got my mossberg 590a1 setup. I prefer the single point sling as opposed to two point. Im going to add a different light mount as I don't like the light on the forend.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by tnxdshooter; 01-29-2020 at 11:50 AM.
tnxdshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2020, 11:47 AM   #3

Member #2136
As far as bedside gun goes I've got a 20 gauge mossberg tactical persuader that holds 8 rounds and has a 20 inch barrel.

I put a tac star 12 gauge aluminum side saddle plate on it. The screw was too long so I found it down flush. Then installed industrial velcro that i cut to the shape of the plate.

It's got a brown coat tactical velcro side saddle on it.

I have a 700 lumen light mounted on an elzetta zsm mount on it.

At present I'm running a 2 point sling but do plan to get a single point bungee sling when I install my magpul stock on it.

Last edited by tnxdshooter; 01-29-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Old 01-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #4

Member #17032
[QUOTE=tnxdshooter;145134]This is how ive got my mossberg 590a1 setup. I prefer the single point sling as opposed to two point. Im going to add a different light mount as I don't like the light on the forend.
[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
and
At present I'm running a 2 point sling but do plan to get a single point bungee sling

Rationale for 1 vs 2pt please?? I see pretty noted HD SG instructors showing how to use 2-point. the "Why" is interesting.

Last edited by Quattroluvr; 01-29-2020 at 12:34 PM.
Old 01-29-2020, 12:35 PM   #5

Member #2136
[quote=Quattroluvr;145138]
Originally Posted by tnxdshooter View Post
This is how ive got my mossberg 590a1 setup. I prefer the single point sling as opposed to two point. Im going to add a different light mount as I don't like the light on the forend.

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-

Rationale for 1 vs 2pt please??
Single point is more comfortable to me. I can put it over my shoulder and my arm through it and it helps steady the weapon but it also acts as sort of a holster and I can let the gun hang as I walk, run, or go hands free. Its quicker to get shouldered to.

Old 01-30-2020, 09:24 AM   #6

Member #16968
Originally Posted by Quattroluvr View Post
Hi,
New to forum and HD sg's. Just got a tactical Mossberg 500. Setting it up with a side-saddle, Magpul forend with Inforce light, Ghost rear sight is OEM, swapping into a Tritium front sight after I dial in with OEM front to figure out right front height for me and chosen ammo at HD ranges. Can't wait to practice at a range soon with a variety of drills I've learned about.

My questions are, (for home defense):

1. I've read different opinions on SLING or NOT sling (tho 2-pt seems a consensus for pro-sling'ers). Rationale?
Assume I will indeed practice.
1a. if sling yes - 1-pt sling? or a quick-adjustable Magpul 2-pt sling. Why?

2. With a Magpul MOE forend, add a vertical pistol grip or no? under stress seems would lessen chance of a short-stroke AND much stronger push-pull technique with a handle to PUSH against... yes? not needed?

Advice from HD sg experts here? Any HD sg instructors opinions especially.
Have you shot the thing yet?
Old 01-30-2020, 01:35 PM   #7

Member #17032
"Have you shot the thing yet?"

Nope. don't want to waste muscle memory/practice and $ammo until the sg is configured ergonomically like it will be soon. awaiting new forend/vert-grip for eg. then practice, practice...
Old 01-30-2020, 02:58 PM   #8

Member #16968
ah-hu... ok
Old 01-30-2020, 04:59 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Just say NO to a sling; just one more thing to snag when using it as a HD gun.
Learn how to run your gun, use the regular foreend. A vertical grip can be tweaked in the heat of the moment.......
Jack Ryan likes this.

Last edited by oneounceload; 02-01-2020 at 06:34 AM.
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2020, 11:36 PM   #10

Member #2136
Originally Posted by oneounceload View Post
Just say NO to a sling; just one more thing to snag when using it as a HD gun.
Learn how to ruin your gun, use the regular foreend. A vertical grip can be tweaked in the heat of the moment.......
I hate vertical grips. I count even use them on rifles and cringe when I see others using them on firearms.

oneounceload likes this.