Dog training with "blank" 20 gauge rounds - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Dog training with "blank" 20 gauge rounds

This is a discussion on Dog training with "blank" 20 gauge rounds within the Sporting Dogs Forum forums, part of the Hunting category; About a week ago I posted a question on the reloading forum about loading blank 20 ga rounds to use for training my retriever puppy. ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Hunting > Sporting Dogs Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-29-2020, 04:01 PM   #1

Member #17172
Dog training with "blank" 20 gauge rounds

About a week ago I posted a question on the reloading forum about loading blank 20 ga rounds to use for training my retriever puppy. Members SteveY and Flash suggested that I not load any powder or wads, but just use the primer. Well today I did just that. That advice was spot on. My wife and I took the 4 1/2 month old golden, Otis, in the field for his first time with both the grouse scented dummy and my wife's Aunt Stella's Stevens 94B single shot, break action, 20 ga, with the primer loads. I'm not sure if we had more fun or if Otis did. He did great scent hunting and retrieving the dummy, and the primer loads just got him more excited to go get that dummy. Those primer loads were the perfect gun fire introduction. Otis is going to be a great gun dog. Thanks again for that advice and for this forum!!
Flash and Jack Ryan like this.
ralph@rturner.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 08-17-2020, 11:52 AM   #2

Member #1887
This been around awhile! I used to use shotgun shells with primer's as suggester. Used shells with bad crimps on them then drilled out the primer pocket to 3/4". Put the primer's in by hand in the field and knock the rim on the stock to remove them to replace them.
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote

Search tags for this page

dog training 20ga shotgon blanks

Click on a term to search for related topics.