How Much Better With Dogs? - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

How Much Better With Dogs?

This is a discussion on How Much Better With Dogs? within the Sporting Dogs Forum forums, part of the Hunting category; I've had a lot of dog's. GSP's, E pointer's, E Setter's and no pick up a Red Setter in three more days. I would not ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Hunting > Sporting Dogs Forum

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #11

Member #1887
I've had a lot of dog's. GSP's, E pointer's, E Setter's and no pick up a Red Setter in three more days.

I would not hunt without a dog. I do take them out without a gun now and then. I'm not sure I could live without a dog. Dogs make us better people. They teach us to love, to forgive and to grieve.
Steve Powers and RedRiverII like this.
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 01-07-2014, 06:07 PM   #12

Member #1882
I enjoy hunting upland birds and turkeys. I've got a German wire hair cross that loves to point birds, but the nuckle head is gun shy! So when I do go bird hunting I go with a friend that has a standard poodle. Great retriever. Nuckle head is still my buddy and a good companion.

U S Coast Guard Squadron Three, Viet Nam, 1968
Old Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #13

Member #1964
Arrow

Jeeze, I can't say how much better you would do. But, I can relay my limited experience.

I hunted Pheasant over a pointer and a flusher and it was an amazing experience. Watching the dogs work together and watching them work the field was as much part of the enjoyment of the hunt as was taking the fast flying Pheasant. Those dogs must have run 8 miles each during that day in the field.

My biggest concern was one of the dogs getting shot accidentally. I had a first time hunter with me and some of those Pheasant would flush very low to the ground.

Last edited by Jeepergeo; 01-11-2014 at 09:05 AM.
Jeepergeo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2014, 07:11 PM   #14

Member #2835
I've been hunting with dogs for about 10years now and nothing has improved my enjoyment or skill more than the dogs. I train my own retrievers all Labs. Knowing that without fail my dog will bring me any bird I down has VASTLY improved my shooting skills.

My dogs are like my kids I love them dearly. Having a well trained dog lets me focus 100% on shooting. Before I got my first dog I never shot a double. Now they are common and I've even got several triples Dove hunting. Training my dogs also give my a great hobby during the off season.

Like Don I'm not sure I could live without my dogs. My dogs have never been too busy, to tired, had a Honey Do list, or any excuse to not go hunting with me. Get a dog and train him yourself, YOU WILL BECOME A BETTER HUNTER!!!

Last edited by redneckjoe; 10-03-2014 at 07:18 PM.
redneckjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:53 PM   #15

Member #2250
A really good huntin' dog is about like a good wife, a true companion that makes life more pleasant. A knotheaded one can make life a pain. It's a lot easier to get shed of the dog.
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #16

Member #2835
Originally Posted by tash View Post
A really good huntin' dog is about like a good wife, a true companion that makes life more pleasant. A knotheaded one can make life a pain. It's a lot easier to get shed of the dog.
I think the #1 factor is training. Get a puppy and put in the time training your pup for the first year. You'll have the rest of the dogs life too enjoy the best hunting buddy in the world.

I've hunted with dozens of guys with dogs and without fail the "Knotheads" are a direct result of NO EFFORT on the owners part. I really haven't seen a bad/stupid dog, but I have seen lots of dogs that simply had no effort put into their training.
redneckjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #17

Member #1906
I sure do miss my Setter. He was a great dog.
John Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 05:41 AM   #18
Super Moderator

Member #1368
When I lived out West, you'd never find chukar without a good dog; quail was maybe 50-50, but the dog made it a lot easier (and more fun as a result)
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:51 PM   #19

Member #2250
I had one really good Lab almost 40 yrs back when I averaged 300 ducks & who knows how many doves in a season. Good sense & lots of experience made a very good dog. Almost never lost a bird. Then a couple of knotheads & I quit Labs. Still got the 1st wife. She'd say I'm still in training.
tash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 12:52 PM   #20

Member #2925
Being around a dog that seems to be coming out of its skin because it knows there is a duck or goose down behind those cattails and wants to retrieve it. Or, hearing the rate of sniffing increase because we're on a fresh pile of pheasant sent, then notice it finally deciding on the direction to the bird.
I can now keep my pasty white face down while calling because I can just watch my dog's eyes to know where birds are and what they are doing. I can also feel pretty good knowing that of the birds in that field, we found our share.
BUT, this is a year round commitment in time and money for a few days of actual bird hunting. And my wife has the nerve to say, "You're going hunting again?"
Steve Powers is offline   Reply With Quote