Walking, riding, grunting? - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Walking, riding, grunting?

This is a discussion on Walking, riding, grunting? within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; How do you travel the sporting clays courses while participating? I'm considering a cart and walking the courses. Absolutely for health reasons, you know ' ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #1

Member #6249
Walking, riding, grunting?

How do you travel the sporting clays courses while participating? I'm considering a cart and walking the courses. Absolutely for health reasons, you know ' use it or lose it'. The question is " What do you do, as opposed to what do you think is best to get around the courses?

I've been using the golf cart, but I want to switch to walking. I've looked into Rugged Gear, DIY baby stroller transformations, and others. At Quail Creek Plantation the longest distance is from the parking lot to Station 1, the in-between stations are no big deal. I haven't shot in the extreme Florida weather yet, although the water stations at each position are a tip that the heat may be challenging. If I could own a Polaris type buggy that would be a no brainer. I'd get my exercise in the early AM and drive that buggy until it dropped. I can't own one because I can't use it in my development.

How do you get around the courses?
Old 03-05-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Member #1368
I prefer to walk as long as I can put my shell bag on a cart or use my push cart

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Would easily fit in the back of my MINI
Kevinct likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 10:22 AM   #3

Member #4993
I would be dead walking our Ridge course as the first 5 stations are going up so steep that we have to block the wheels to keep the carts from sliding down the mtn and it's 100-200yds between those stations.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
RKB likes this.

Old 03-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #4
Super Moderator

Member #1368
Had a course like that in Reno where the first station was an uphill hike from the office/pro shop/bar/restaurant. If you were up first, you needed a few to catch your breath -was too much like hunting wild chukar.......At a big shoot there, they were using a JD tractor to pull a cart with 20 shooters. After a few trips, the tranny went out...........................

I shot a course similar to what you were describing one time in TN. Just getting from the front gate to the club house you damn near need 4wd and good traction tires........
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 03-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #148
lol. golf with guns.
next you guys will be asking what kind of gun socks you put over your guns with little numbers on top, to tell you what ga it is.

or what brand cleats you wear. :>
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #6

Member #6249
That's a cool little setup 1, light weight and compact. Good job. I'm going to go visit a few garage sales and see what I can come up with.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Member #1368
That used to go with me in a MINI (back seat folded down). The gun holder is used on ATVs, the box frame was made from aluminum angle and flat pieces from Lowe's. The black knapsack came with it and has one of those 6-pack blue ice things for the lower cooler section - nice touch when shooting in the summer.

Besides garage sales, look on your local Craig's List, Let Go and similar sites. With a lot of golfers, some nice ones should be advertised every day
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 03-05-2017, 12:37 PM   #8
Super Moderator

Member #148
and for godsake, if you do...make sure the guns are secured. trust me, ive seen too many being dragged behind the cart with the guy not aware.
and park it away from other carts, that can bump it.
just like a car, scratch your gun....hit and run.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
Old 03-05-2017, 05:43 PM   #9

Member #7361
thanks for idea I have the same one sitting up in rafter of my garage even the same color, now if I could turn my clubs into guns I will be stylin.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #148
I knew a guy who had 4 model 12/42's plate 5 pigeon guns in all 4 gauges all identical at the world shoot. he had them all side by side on a custom modified golf caddy cart. talk about bling on wheels.
one problem......someone tried walking away with it. heck, its on wheels. how tempting it was. they got caught, but.....
seriously....ya gotta be careful when its made too easy to carry. someone can decide to take it all for a stroll.
beware.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner

Last edited by bobski; 03-07-2017 at 03:16 PM.