Shotgun Forums

Shotgun Forums (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/)
-   Sporting Clays (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/sporting-clays/)
-   -   Tricks or techniques that increased... (https://www.shotgunforums.com/forums/sporting-clays/9178-tricks-techniques-increased.html)

RedRiverII 02-26-2017 05:17 AM

Tricks or techniques that increased...

Was there any trick or technique you've used to kick your average up a few birds? I have a low average and just about any tip will help me at this point, but what about you folks that are shooting, let's say 75-80 and need to consistently shoot in the eighties. What have you tried and what worked?

oneounceload 02-26-2017 07:34 AM

Not missing.

Seriously, 85% of your average shoots targets should be hittable by everyone - including new shooters like yourself. Learn those and MASTER them; by that I mean don't settle for 4/8 at a station. You get yourself to the point where you're running those stations and then begin to focus on those few separator stations. A good coach/teacher can shorten the learning curve time.

bobski 02-27-2017 03:00 PM

lol.
everyone always wants to take the elevator instead of taking the stairs.

RedRiverII 03-02-2017 05:19 AM

I knew a guy that cheated at cards, I knew he cheated because I caught him a couple of times. I didn't say anything during the game and later on merely asked him how he cheated. We were young men serving aboard a ship. We played for chump change. He replied sort of sheepishly that he cheated any way he could.

I watched Schwarzeneggar steal Mike's shirt during a competition just to mess with his head, hoping it would affect his posing. Mike lost. Was the Oak cheating?

There are several techniques to exam taking that can make you perform better. Besides studying and preparing of course. I wouldn't drink coffee for two days before the exam, and on exam day I would have two cups and some sugary mint balls for during the test, it woke me up a bit.

I want to compete with superior shooters and win. I do want to do my best against those that are better than me, and better than me by far. I want to give a good showing of myself. I want to challenge myself to be a threat in the games just so I get the best performance from my rivals.

We had a sign outside the Bridge, " Assume your enemy knows as much as you do, and perhaps a little bit more."

I hope this serves to further clarify my position, I wonder what techniques are employed to further your scores. I do enjoy myself just popping clays. I do not ever want to come in dead last again in a competition. If I end up still shooting at ninety years of age I won't accept last place gracefully. I might accept it cordially but on the inside I'll be fuming.

oneounceload 03-02-2017 06:49 AM

Then take a deep breath and realize when you were born, you were not able to run a 100 yard sprint just quite yet. If you do as I suggested, master that 85%, you'd be surprised just how far up the success chain in sporting you'll go. The very top dogs average in the low to mid 90s. If you are shooting a big blast like the Gator, the targets WILL be tougher because the setters are trying to make sure no one runs a course - which happened at the Florida Challenge on one event. E class averages typically run in 50s - just more than half. M class averages run high 80s to mid 90s, depending on who you look at. That said, there are also M class shooters who shoot poorly, as in the 60s and 70s, and a few E class folks who can compete with the top dogs. (Usually a good shot just starting in sporting who won't be in the lower classes very long.)

Tips while on the course - No cheating! ;). Watch where good shooters hold their insertion point and break point; watch how they're standing - especially true for targets going in opposite directions where you can get cork-screwed; the biggest tip - outside of having the gun fit perfectly, is the ability to make your plan before you call pull, clear your mind of everything else, and focus on the target. Your eyes will guide your hands and your brain should be in the idle mode so the natural reaction kicks in. That is one of the hardest things to do, especially if you easily distracted by things like folks talking, golf carts passing by, etc. Unlike FITASC or ZZs, each sporting clays station is like a skeet station in that for that one place you have to be able to make your plan and REPEAT it exactly the same 3 or 4 times in a row. It is performing that task successfully like for ANY type of presentation that separates the E guys from the M guys. That comes with a lot of practice covering a wide variety of targets - some of which are not readily available here in Florida as we do not have the varied terrain you might find in NC, NV, TN, MO, or even north GA.

BTW, FL state Championship beginning of April at Bradford in graham- sign-up on Winscore.com

bobski 03-02-2017 07:32 AM

this is why i stopped competing.
the lust to win clouded good judgement in too many fine people. and no matter where i traveled to compete, i found more and of the same cloth.
i dis-associated myself with that crowd.
because, if its true, birds of a feather flock together.......i didnt want to be viewed as one of those turkeys.

id rather be a cat.

RedRiverII 03-03-2017 07:56 AM

Thanks one, I'll see you at the event, perhaps. I'll review the past advice posts as well as the above.

Bobski, I especially enjoy a Gentleman taking out the braggarts. Those thinly veiled cowards who prey upon the weaker are never to be considered sportsmen. I would love to see someone of your caliber silence their roar. We could name your shotgun Dorothy after the Oz story of course. She stands up to the Lion, slaps him, and we see the true character for what he is. " Ignore the little man behind the green curtain." There's a lot of little men hiding behind green curtains.

There is a reason beyond the sound of gun blasts, and clays being smoked, that I wish to compete. I'm giving the universe a chance to make amends for cheating me out of something. It'll either work or it won't; I'll put in my best effort. I'm owed something, and I want it.

oneounceload 03-03-2017 08:36 AM

One thing you will notice when shooting with the top dogs - some of whom were on my FITASC squad, was NO one brags or crows; one slip and an extra miss can mean the difference between being in the money and not. We ALL have a bad day now and again - you look down-right foolish bragging about how good you are and then you have one of those days. Everyone complimented each other when that person shot well, even if it was nothing more than a silent fist bump. At least in sporting, you'll find two camps when someone isn't shooting well - they'll either tend to try and offer some positive encouragement like "stay with it, you''ll get them" or they'll tend to say nothing at all. I have never seen anyone get down on someone else (safety infractions notwithstanding)

bobski 03-03-2017 08:40 AM

dont get me wrong. there is a place for competition and a winning spirit.
but you need to know when to turn it off and turn it on.
case in point, i just shot a great week at norwich r&g with a crosscut of people. i missed a few but so did everyone else. it was cold, we laughed, we cheered when someone hit one in 30mph winds under lights...it was a blast.
but i can tell you this...these same people when competing against each other, the gloves come off and the tension is so thick, you can cut it with a knife.
this is good. but its all in the right frame of mind at the moment. some dont know how to control it.
tension doesnt happen here on a thursday night when everyone is trying to shoot fast, so they can get to the clubhouse tavern for beer afterwards. and trust me....club taverns are very much part of the shooting culture in new england. its a true pub like atmosphere, right down to the pointers huddled next to the pot belly while the owners slam suds and guys cook cabbage and roast in the kitchen.
they dont call it (new) england for nothing.

a far cry from mo.....where its more like bbq and that white clear stuff that ooz'es out the hills. lol.

oneounceload 03-03-2017 09:14 AM

Quote:

these same people when competing against each other, the gloves come off and the tension is so thick, you can cut it with a knife.
this is good. but its all in the right frame of mind at the moment. some dont know how to control it
One difference there Bob, is that in sporting a squad can be comprised of folks in a variety of classes - and unless you know the person, or do some serious investigating beforehand, you don't know what class everyone else is in. You're not competing against them, you're competing against yourself and the target setter. Now if skeet targets varied all the time, maybe the attitudes would change! :p I bet some of those stodgers would freak if they suddenly had to shoot Int'l low-gun with a computer random delay up to three seconds...........
Since no two sporting stations are ever the same, every station is a new beginning and a challenge for the shooter to figure out what the target setter is doing and to beat him at his own game. The folks who do that the best, come out on top and hopefully get something tangible to show for it.