Recoil systems - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Recoil systems

This is a discussion on Recoil systems within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; Interested in a recoil system/pads for a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting. Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions....

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jestearns
  • 1 Post By Mad Murdock
  • 1 Post By oneounceload
  • 2 Post By SnapCap

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2017, 07:27 AM   #1

Member #6602
Cool Recoil systems

Interested in a recoil system/pads for a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon 1 Sporting. Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions.
RedRiverII likes this.
jestearns is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 02-04-2017, 03:26 PM   #2

Member #4993
Mercury tube and a good pachmayr or kick ez pad.

To know the future is to be trapped by it
RedRiverII likes this.
Old 02-04-2017, 04:21 PM   #3
Super Moderator

Member #1368
ISIS, Gracoil, BumpBuster, GSquared, and a host of others
RedRiverII likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

Member #1732
I find that most of the time, recoil problems are a result of an improper gun mount. I would suggest that you seek the assistance of a certified coach who is knowledgeable in gunfitting.
RedRiverII and jestearns like this.
CSM Certified Instructor
NSCA Certified Level II Instructor since 1998
Deep River Sporting Clays and Shooting School
SnapCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:59 PM   #5
Super Moderator

Member #1368
I watched a well-known shooting coach (English by birth, now in America) flinching on some FITASC shots due to vision issues, which also seemed to increase his felt recoil now and again. Very bizarre - but he still shot an 89...........
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #6
Super Moderator

Member #148
i am past my prime. many (like me,) love the game so much, they will change, buy, and install anything to make them shoot like they did when they were 21.
sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt.
i cant figure it out for the life of me how young healthy kids who dont know what pain is...have to have all the old feeble guy inventions on their guns right from the start.
heck...see the lead pull the trigger. old school.
but nope...gotta have that gizmo and be one of the guys.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:04 PM   #7
Super Moderator

Member #1368
I find that most of the time, recoil problems are a result of an improper gun mount.
Another aspect in this regard is gun fit. Actual recoil is reduced via low velocity, low payload ammo in a very heavy gun - that is Newton. All of the recoil reducing devices tens more to help with perceived recoil, aka, "kick", which is a function of gun fit. And gun fit is not putting the stock in the crook of your arm or just shouldering the gun in the store
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 05-25-2018, 05:07 PM   #8

Member #14924
Gun fit will decrease recoil for sure but if you look at all the best shooters they almost all use a recoil devise of some kind. Shooting as much as most people do it makes sense to reduce recoil as much as possible the less recoil the longer and better you will shoot. I need to say here I do not use a recoil device on a automatic gun they shoot soft enough as designed. I prefer the Gracoil or Rad have used the fluid type but they leak after prolonged use. I also have some Hydo coil guns that use compressed air that I like but they are pretty expensive. It really depends on how much you shoot and how heavy a load you shoot. 1 1/8 kicks harder than a 1 oz and 7/8 less than 1 oz and the fps compounds that the faster the more recoil. I also know that a bigger bore has less recoil than a smaller one. That is my take on the subject you opinion may differ and I respect that.

“A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.”

Last edited by Dead Last; 05-25-2018 at 05:23 PM.
Dead Last is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 11:07 PM   #9

Member #12793
686's don't have the spacer soldered between the barrels and doesn't have the ingraving a 687 does. They are a little lighter so kick just a bit more. Not as good a resale as a 687. 686's have a urethane finish instead of an oil finish. shows scratches easily and is a pain to repair/refinish. Both great guns.
acctoml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:44 AM   #10
Super Moderator

Member #148
he must have fell out of his canoe.........:>
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote