Left eye dominance, right handed shooter. - Page 2 - Shotgun Forums

Shotgun

Left eye dominance, right handed shooter.

This is a discussion on Left eye dominance, right handed shooter. within the Sporting Clays forums, part of the Shotgun Shooters Forum category; this is going to be PERFECT for your new gun youre getting from me..............IM LEFT EYE too. the gun is pre-fit to you! hows that ...

Go Back   Shotgun Forums > Shotgun Shooters Forum > Sporting Clays

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #11
Super Moderator

Member #148
this is going to be PERFECT for your new gun youre getting from me..............IM LEFT EYE too. the gun is pre-fit to you! hows that for a merry Christmas.
Skeet & Trap Range Owner
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Remove Ads
Old 12-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #12

Member #7113
The sight blinders only work if your dominance is not very strong. I have Meadow Industries Vari-Brite-Site III on my target guns. I have had students mount my gun on the wrong shoulder and not see the glowing rod, they only see the side of the barrels.
Having a weak dominant eye this sight works for me. The other thing is you are unable to keep your focus on the target and your eyes are drawn to the glow rod it is not for you.

I suggest you give shooting left handed a really good try. You are still handicapping your self by not using 100% of your peripheral vision.
RedRiverII likes this.
waverider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 06:23 AM   #13

Member #6249
Thanks Wave, I'll certainly give it a try, lefty. Realizing my right eye is visually not even close to the vision I have in my left eye, I may have to go lefty. I got hit in the face with some pipe cleaning acid some years back, thankfully the clog was sitting in a pipe for some time and was a bit old or diluted, but it still burned. Meadow industries next stop.

Can you switch out red to green on same gun?

Last edited by RedRiverII; 01-01-2017 at 06:28 AM.
RedRiverII is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2018, 02:11 AM   #14

Member #14377
Some people I know who have that problem put a sticker on the lens of their shooting glasses in front of the dominant eye and shoot that way. They do very well with this method.
Flash and RedRiverII like this.
SamuelKing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:55 AM   #15

Member #6249
Back to shooting lefty. After becoming a bit frustrated, well not frustrated but uncomfortable with my right handed shooting results, I switched to lefty. I can knock the stuffing out of birds using the scrunched down, dug in cheek weld, left eye closed technique shooting righty. I believe the folks who say use both eyes. Greater peripheral and depth perception. If I'm going to shoot long term I may as well get the fundamentals down pat. After shooting 40 rounds or so I went back to the pro shop and was able to hire a coach. Thankfully it was mid week, midday and he was available.

It's funny how easy it is to forget the fundamentals. I had taken several lessons in the past and completely forgot the importance of cheek weld, stance, and gun mount. After squaring away the preliminaries we went to the patterning board and discussed focus.

All along I was waiting for that " Ah Ha " moment, where all things become crystal clear. Didn't happen. I had the challenge of accepting the shotgun as a part of me, not just a barrel with a bead, a sort of precise measuring stick. In any event I did get to fire a couple of rounds with both eyes open and focused on the bird. Practice, practice, practice.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:35 AM   #16

Member #5570
Originally Posted by SamuelKing77 View Post
Some people I know who have that problem put a sticker on the lens of their shooting glasses in front of the dominant eye and shoot that way. They do very well with this method.
Everyone I know that shoots Sporting Clays and has a dominance problem does this and most of them shoot very well, so I guess it works.

I have a problem with my master eye switching back and forth by itself, documented by some ophthalmologists and optometrists. Kind of annoying when it does it after the bird has been thrown, but I eliminated the problem by getting my glasses set up for Monovision. The bird is sharp with my right eye and fuzzy with my left, so the subconscious chooses the right eye and all's well with the world.
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 06:21 PM   #17

Member #4021
Two other thoughts for you - instead of a sticker on your glasses covering your dominant eye, use scotch tape - it blurs enough to shift your dominance, yet does not cost you peripheral vision. Second thought - with a dry-erase marker, put a dot on your glasses in the center of your field of vision on your dominant eye - same concept - shift dominance without sacrificing peripheral vision or depth perception.

These are both techniques I have seen used effectively for people with eye dominance issues.
Powercrater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 09:11 AM   #18

Member #6249
Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'll go lefty for a few good reasons. My left eye is a much clearer picture. My right eye was injured several years ago with a weakened acid while working on some pipe. If my life depended upon either eye's performance I'd have to use the left.

Fundamentals. When I played baseball as a child I became a skilled player. Those were the days when Whitey Ford and Micky Mantle were still doing wind sprints before their games. Running is fundamental even for Professionals. Since I'm relatively a newer shotgunner and am starting fresh, fundamentals are a huge concern. Therefore shooting lefty is not that big a challenge. It's a new skill set.

I've tried the grease and the spot, as well as the tape. They all made me feel self conscious and a bit of a jerk. That's just me and if someone else is comfortable with it that's just plain terrific.

I've already refused to shoot one eyed. I can crush most shots using the shotgun as a rifle but the payment due is too much. Scrunched down on the stock I get a headache after 30 rounds or so. No peripheral sight with the single eye, depleted depth gauging, a pair, report or true is not worth half the fun it ought to be.
Old 06-02-2018, 08:54 PM   #19

Member #14944
I'm not saying what I do is the best thing, but it is what I do IMHO. I don't have a dominant eye, they switch back and fourth (it sucks), so just before I pull the trigger I slightly close one eye, (like 50% closed), so the right eye takes over. Or I pick the picture on the left (I'm shooting right eyed, right handed).
under40yards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 12:18 PM   #20
Super Moderator

Member #1368
They make "fuzzy dots" that cling to the lens via static electricity; you might try that and see if that helps keep your right eye as dominant while still allowing both eyes to be open.
RKB likes this.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
-Hunter S. Thompson
oneounceload is offline   Reply With Quote